Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I read exactly what you wrote and I responded exactly to what you wrote. You wrote "Find a mouthpiece..." implying that the one he has was wrong. Then you said that he should "look into" finding a new horn, implying that the one he has is somehow inadequate.

I get that you want him to find something that works and stick with it... but you told him to dump what he has, with no idea whether the mouthpiece or horn is in any way wrong for him... and I do find that irresponsible. If you are, as you say, not an advocate of the mouthpiece safari or jacking your gear around, then at least determine whether what he has is suitable first.

I did apologize for picking on your posting, and perhaps it would have been better had I not quoted it, but you are not the only one two suggest a change to something "middle of the road" sight unseen. It's a limitation of forums. You only know what the person tells you... and if you would have met him in person and heard him play, you might have said something completely different.

The advice is not necessarily wrong but it's not necessarily right, either.

Tom

2. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    thanks for all the advice folks, I did go to a music store today just to see if a so called better trumpet would sound nice. I think it was a Berkley?? 1500.00 on sale for 850.00 and silver. The valves were no more smooth than mine and I think my 707 actually had a nicer richer sound, so for now I will stay with mine, besides I like all the engraving. Mine was rebuilt including rebrassed ten years ago. Now if it were a 3500.00 horn which he said he can get in, I'm sure there would be a noticeable difference. Someone said something about thin lips, I would say I have medium thickness lips but I can't find my lipometer at the moment. The Bach 7C just won't let me get to anything above the bars a the 17M does, but that requires more air for me. I also have a Bach 3C and a 1 1/2 C , there should be something in my small collection that will work. I will be taking some lessons after the first of the year, feel like a school boy again

3. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    I think I will stick with this horn for now. JFYI the serial is 11094

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the update.

Mike

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO almost any trumpet would be better than a Berkley and I believe the seller's insinuated MSRP is pure hype. The truth is using your own mouthpiece in another instrument is akin to winning the lottery when it comes to the tone you expect. Even one of the finest trumpets may not play well with your mouthpiece and this is not saying there is anything wrong with your mpc in the sonic.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I'd rather have a 60yo $100 Olds Ambassador than a new Berkley from a retail music store. Heck, you could but ANY Ambassador, send it to Kanstul for the full monty refurb, even valves and still not spent half what they are asking for that Chinese built Berkley. And... you would have a horn that would go another 60 years!

7. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    i really believe I am so out of shape and expecting to be like I once was, tonight 30 to 45 minutes was all I could handle and a 3C was used

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That was the hardest thing for me! Play a page of exercises and rest a while is what I eventually learned to do.

Tom

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I may not have the shine of new, but my Olds Ambassador plays as well as I do and likes a Blessing 5C & Bach 6

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Once again, you've assumed that I meant something that I did not - that's on you, not on me, and especially not after I took the time to explain it to you.

Second, determining what is or isn't right for him at this point is kind of beside the point - by his own admission he hasn't been consistent enough in his own playing to know the difference, hence the suggestion to stick with something straight up the middle. Regardless of whether it winds up being right for him in the end, he'll still make steady improvement if he's diligent and disciplined about regular practice.

Third, I never suggested he do ANYTHING sight unseen - where did you get that? You are WAY overthinking this whole discussion. I simply suggested that a new good instrument (that would come from my comparison to my son's Les Paul Standard - if you know your guitars, you'll know that this is a solid, pro-level guitar) can inspire one to practice and play more - at this point, that above all else, is what's important. That's why I also suggested that he get involved in something that has some challenges and actual performances, such as a community band, where he'll also be surrounded by other players who are better. You'd probably agree with that since it seems that's a primary rehearsal and performance outlet for you too.

You seem to have this folly of a notion that there is going to be horns and mouthpieces out there that at his level of play are going to be inherently wrong for him, when the truth is he might not be able to really fully discern much of a difference between a pro-level setup and a student-level setup. Pray tell, what would be a "wrong" trumpet for him?

Look, I know you consider yourself to be an expert on all things Buescher, and that you've played since 1975 (pretty much only on a Buescher?) but why does your "advice" trump anything I've suggested, especially since you chose to interpret it so incorrectly? Do you have such a pedigree and musical resume that you know something about basic fundamentals of trumpet playing that I've missed somewhere along the way? From what I know, you are a technical writer who plays trumpet for a hobby. If I'm incorrect in those assertions, please let me know - I'm always open to learning something new.