Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Welcome to the site! There are a lot of comeback players here and a whole lot of knowledge. I enjoy lurking when I am not practicing. I am a comeback play also. Don't get discouraged. Just enjoy the process! Best wishes to you!

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's the responsibility of the writer to make himself understood. You do not blame the reader. If you're clear, 80% of the readers will understand you. The other 20% have an agenda or they're idiots.
    I agree with you. But you assumed that his current equipment was wrong, or you would not have recommended otherwise without a caveat of some kind.
    Your statements are contradictory. You say that you never told him to change, and then you gave an example to prove that he should change.
    I don't know... and neither do you. Why did you tell him to ditch his setup with no knowledge at all of whether it was good or bad?
    Because I did not give any advice. I only said that I disagreed with your advice to ditch his setup, and so cavalierly at that.

Good Google skills, by the way. Did you find any answer I gave on allexperts.com to be wrong?

As general advice, what you said was good. As specific advice to this poster (and I'm sorry you had to get in the middle of a pissing match) it was a little over the top. If the poster had taken your advice as you wrote it, he would have done the following:

1. Bought a mouthpiece different than he had and might not needed. Using Cascio Interstate Music's website as a "standard", a Blessing 5C is $23.89. Bach, $50. Schilke, $44.97.
    2. Bought a different trumpet. Besson BE2000, $1197. Blessing BTR-1580 (lacquer), $1688.
    3. Spent a lot of time getting nowhere.

The last thing I, personally, would tell a comeback player, which he is, is to change the setup he had success with before. After a year of lessons, he might change his mind. After a summer of lessons, I changed my mind. People told me to change my horn. I said no. People told me that if I can't play a middle-of-the-road mouthpiece, that I was doing something wrong.

They were all incorrect.

I don't know why you are so vigorously defending this position and nuancing the crap out of it... and quite honestly I've run out of caring about it.

My position is that you told him to ditch what he had and start over. I'm telling you that was the wrong thing to say. You have the last word. Use it well.

Tom

3. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    please don't make my thread into a war zone guys!!!

4. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    yes, I need to be patient but, I have to play a solo in three weeks. It is pretty simple though, at least the song is, standing in front of people has never changed for me. lol

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'm very sorry that it has. It happens on forums sometimes. Be patient with your practice, rest a lot, and good luck with your solo.

Tom

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The good thing is the OP can take the best advice from both, so it does not matter too much, that's the beauty of this forum.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It happens sometimes. It also happens when the parties mostly agree with each other.

In this case, I think Patrick gave some good advice - 1) consider joining a community band, 2) a new trumpet, while not necessary, can sometimes inspire you to pratice more, and 3) when it comes to equipment, "middle of the road baby" is usually a good way to go.

These of course, are just generalizations, and not hard-and-fast rules. Given this assumption, I think we all pretty much agree with them. But if not, that's okay, too. Let's just agree to move on.

Mike

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Welcome to the site! See what you started?...:lol:

I'll bet your trumpet is a fine one. Like someone said, sometimes a new (or new to you) trumpet can inspire you to practice more, but having a goal will do it too, and is cheaper. As trickg said, try to find a community band to play in, preferably one where you are doing well to hold down 3rd part. With a standard to play to, the motivation should be there to practice and improve. A smaller mouthpiece may be fine for you, or it may serve you well until your chops get stronger and you want to play something larger. Like Tom said, some people like smaller pieces, and some like larger ones. Once you get back into the swing of things, you can play around with the mouthpieces you have and decide which one you like best. Generally, smaller = easier upper register, brighter tone, thinner lower register, while bigger = more difficult upper register, richer tone, bigger lower register.

Since you have a solo to play in a few weeks, I'd stick with the horn and mouthpiece you've been playing the most and practice the solo until you nail it every time. Knowing you can play something goes a long way in subduing stage fright. Remember, the folks in the audience want you to do well, too.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Tom, I've got 25+ years of gigging experience, 10 of it full time as a working professional, and I still get paid fairly well for what I do, which is probably because I do it pretty well. I might just know a thing or two about what it takes to become a proficient player and what it takes to get there, because I've done it. I don't just play trumpet as a hobby - I play trumpet because it's a viable part-time that nets me a tidy $7K-$10K per year. And because I still love music and have a blast doing it.

No matter who typed or said what, by this point Deano knows what I meant and he knows that your continued assertions that this is what I meant:

are completely wrong. That may be how you choose to continue to beat that dead horse, but that's just what it is - incorrect, and we've established that already. That's the beauty of a forum thread - it gives each poster the ability to go back and clarify if there was a misundertanding - that has been done amply, but you don't seem to want to acknowledge it. Here: DUE TO LIMITATIONS IN MY ABILITY TO WRITE, I MAY NOT HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY CLEAR ABOUT WHAT I MEANT IN MY FIRST POST. There - feel better?

Apparently you haven't run out of caring about it, because you spent a fair amount of time trying to prove that I meant something that I didn't. As a side note, yeah - I googled you because I wanted to find out who I was dealing with as a player and person, and I went back and read some of your other posting - as a general observation, this isn't the first time you've decided to try to take someone to task over obscure semantics or wording, such as you chose to do with what I said.

To Deano I'll reiterate what I've said, and what has actually been echoed in other parts of this thread - more important than anything is practice, and finding inspiration to practice on equipment that isn't going to limit you - i.e., mouthpieces on the shallow/narrow end of the spectrum, or mouthpieces too big and deep. In my original post I said that if you had the cash to consider a new horn due to the inspiration it can impart to the person who has it. It's like getting a new car - you want to go drive it at every opportunity. Same thing applies - if you are inspired to practice, it doesn't matter what horn you are on - you WILL improve if you are putting in the time and effort. If you are perfectly happy with the equipment you've got, that's great too, but I can tell you based on my experience that unless you go extreme on equipment, nothing is going to "hurt" you or your progress, whether it's what you've got or if you decide to get something new.

Sometimes it's less about what you practice, and more about just getting in the time. I made large leaps in my playing proficiency at times in my life where I wasn't specifically "practicing" but more because I was just playing all the time. My first year as a military bandsman was huge in that regard - while I did continue to work technique in the practice room, between gigs and rehearsals there were days that the horn was in my hands for 6+ hours a day, several days running. When you are doing that much playing, the chops get strong and technique tends to refine all on its own. I've never been a true world class player - a cut above, but I could hold my own in just about any ensemble doing any kind of music, and that came as much from boilerplate playing and gigging as it did from work in the practice room.

Sorry Deano - I wasn't trying to turn it into a war zone, just trying to give some encouragement to someone who wants to take it up to the next level. If you need any additional clarity on what I was trying to convey, feel free to ask me.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The Papa Johns delivery guys makes more than that!

I'm just razzing you.... anyone that is consistenty getting paying jobs these days is doing something right.