Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd make more if I chose to gig more - as it is, that $7k-$10K comes from a single band that gigs 30-40 dates a year. In the last 5-10 years, I've done maybe a dozen or so paying church gigs. I work this band because:

1.) the band doesn't rehearse - we are expected to know the charts or be able to read well enough to pull it off. (The book on my iPad has 400+ charts in it, and we never know what's going to get called)
    2.) it pays well
    3.) the time committment - bang for buck - is really nice.

Basically, I roll out to do gigs that are predominately on Saturdays between 4:00 and midnight (7-11 more often than not) and we have roadies that do all but set up my personal gear. I've gotten out of the church service scene - on occasion I still get a call to play a wedding, or a Christmas or Easter gig, but I wind up turning down as many of those as I take.

And I guarantee I have more fun than the Papa John's delivery guy. :D

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As you can tell, we can be very passionate. Your 707 is a very fine horn and might be the only horn you ever need. Finding a mpc can be tricky though. John Stork has a very good website with great info on choosing a mpc based on your physiology. Average lips can benefit from a mpc in the .630-.660 diameter range. The 17M tends to lend it's self to thinner lips or lead trumpet work with a well developed embouchure. I too play Giardinelli, a 5S,M, and B cups. Welcome and enjoy the passion!

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Hi Dean56

And because i got the nick first :D Welcome to TM :

My story is nearly the same as yours ,but i didn't touch a horn for 35 years ,having been at it for a year i can say it's been a very frustrating ,learning experience ,i was sure within a month or two i would be back to my old form ? :roll: nope didn't happen :-o.

I decided early on that this time around it was going to be enjoyable or i wasn't going to bother ,but before that i knew there was some thing in me that just needed to make music again :play:.

So if i could give you some advice i would say ,Practice ...........practice every day ! even if it's only to do a couple scales ,believe me there will be days you won't feel like picking up the horn :think:,when you have those do a short toot then study music scores or get on U-Tube and watch instructional vids or someone else playing .

I learned to play by ear back in the day ,never knew the notes ,so i spend lot's of time trying to figure that out and get it into my muddled mind.

I played in a small group last week at my church (Thanksgiving music) this next week we play Christmas music 12 songs in all i think ,and you know some of that gets above the staff!

I never dreamed i could get up there ? now it's not very powerful but i can do it .and as i look back i can say without reservation that I am now a better player than i was back then ,Have i reached the point that i can relax and cruise ? no............. there will always be more to learn ,as others say it's a journey and that is what makes it fun.

I'd say 45 mins of playing time is pretty good for now? but some days 20 mins is enough until your chops start to get strong enough ,and don't try to go up high until you can do it without extra pressure on the m/p ! stay in the staff and grind away on those low notes :-P mix things up, do low long tones and some Tonguing,try to keep it clean ,work from a place of strength to the areas of weakness.

Ok enough advice on mechanics ,Don't get in a hurry ,patience pays dividends later , learn as you go and overall the most important thing is to have fun !!!

great to have another comebacker here :woop:

Enjoy

Dean_0

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Following on what Dean O has stated, I count my daily practice time only by actual "lip time" meaning I'll play 30minutes and rest 15 and then continue with this in alternation. Still, on average I actually play / practice during 2 hours a day. When I was tutoring beginners I had then on a regimen of alternating regimen of 20 minutes play 20 minutes rest during their rests I discussed or demonstrated. That said, it is not that I don't take a day off ... as I did yesterday for 3 doctor's appointments, or other life priorities.

5. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    yep, practice has to be done, thats why I brought my trumpet along on our thanksgiving 3 day trip. I guess I will be practicing in our car as my wife's aunt has an apartment and no where to practice.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good idea. I practice in my car at work 2-3 times a week.

Mike

7. CornetComeback

CornetComeback New Friend

Jan 26, 2013
    At age 66 my comeback is progressing well.

Strongly urge getting a tuner. My biggest problem to achieving tone quality.

And remember the most important part of the horn are:
    The ear
    Air
    The mind
    The music

8. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    as strange as it might be, my tone quality is not what sufferer

9. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    it's going to be cold in the garage, 20 degrees. Might back it out and warm the car up

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Beep beep.... Beep beep, Yeah!