Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure beats the alternative of circular breathing while running the car in the garage with the garage door closed.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And they have yet to admit you to the psych ward for this? I mean, blowing your brains out next the the ER? Really Mike? I'm thinkin pink slip:think:

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi cornetcomeback,
    You ststed:
    "Strongly urge getting a tuner. My biggest problem to achieving tone quality.
    ------------
    I'm not sure a tuner will help with tone quality.
    Dr.Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe he meant toner! Not sure they make these things for trumpets... photocopiers yepper, trumpets:dontknow:

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]

trumpet tuner/toner

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    I think they do make trumpet toner and it comes in a large glass with ice and liquor (ice optional).

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    lol

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I usually do this when I first get to work, so the car is still warm. :-)

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    And sometimes I hide out in one of the call rooms with my Dillon Music Silent Mute. They haven't caught me yet. ;-)

I gotta keep practicing, so I can keep with you when we play together on December 8th.

Mike

10. Johnflugelhorn

Johnflugelhorn Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston MA
    Hi, New Friend, Welcome to Trumpet Master. I will get right to the point: Control of the airstream will get you as high as you are willing to practice for. I recently started what I call the Breathe and Squeeze technique and I can go as high as I care to go without much effort because by squeezing the abdominal muscles on the diaphragm increases the speed of the airstream, and as you know high notes must have fast air pressure going thru the embouchure. I made a video for you tube called Breath and Squeeze which you will see better what I talk about here. Rely more on your airstream control than worry about embouchure efforts which do not get you very high.Once you employ and enjoy the airstream method trumpet playing will be so much easier you wont believe it. Check the you tube video of the Chase band from years ago by Bill Chase and his ultra hi hi trumpet band and see in the comments section a viewer mentions compression of the airstream is the real deal key for hi register playing. Give it a try, and oh by the way I say you have many years of trumpet playing ahead of you at 57 since I play everyday and I am 72.:)