Inconsistent Older Trumpet Player Here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely John. Keep playing, my friend!

Mike

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you need to when practicing, play 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes then repeat. I'm 77 yo and play 30 min and rest 15 and I'm diagnosed with COPD. My pulmonologist doesn't know how I do it, but encourages me to keep doing it. In retrospect, it may be that I don't now play as well as I did when younger, but even after a 40 year lapse IMO I'm enjoying it much more. There are some that now think I play pretty well. Just wait until I complete my second cataract surgery by the end of this year and I might play even better as I'm a sight reader.

3. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    just an update, there has been much improvement due to practising of course. I have found that the Gard. 17M MP is whats best for me? Able to freely play high c and a few notes above that. I will keep practising!

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the update!

Mike

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just always keep in mind how it sounds - the note itself isn't as important as how it sounds when it's played. If you are playing above high C but it's out of tune, thin, pinched, etc, it isn't necessarily a great thing.

6. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    actually my ears are in good shape and the high c is quite clean and crisp with vibrato and in tune, now I can't hold on for 30 seconds, but improving.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Fair enough, but it's not an athletic event either.

8. trumpetpastor

trumpetpastor New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Charlotte North Carolina
    deano56, Thanks for posting! I am a come back player also (age 50) and reading your story has been a great encouragement to me.
    May I humbly give a little advice? I took a lesson with Eric Bolvin, a jazz trumpeter in SF Bay area, about a year and a half ago. I want to take more on a consistent basis when funds allow, but that is another story. He really helped me in getting in the right direction. I also purchased a book of lessons from him that really helped me in playing efficiently, something I have never been able to do no matter how much I practiced. The book is entitled "Tongue level and Air, twenty six lessons to efficient trumpet playing". You can find the book on his web site for around twelve dollars. It is designed to help you in one year to improve sound in all registers, endurance accuracy and range. That helped me so much. I am currently working through Arbans-Eric has 69 lessons on Arbans that enable you to practice through it in a systematic fashion.
    I currently play solos in church and have a great deal of fun! I still play the horn I had in High School-a Claude Gordon Benge, which is in great shape, howbeit a few dings here and there. Any way thanks again for posting, it was a joy to hear your story!

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The more I play the Giardinelli 10C the more I think they were underappreciated.

Tom

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess it depends on the person - as you so gently pointed out to me in another post, mouthpieces are kind of like shoes - you often need a specific size and type, fitted to the person, for the task at hand. Personally, I've never been able to really use anything too narrow, so the 10C might be completely underappreciated by me - it might not be a good fit.