Inconsistent

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdshankles, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey team,

Do any of you ever find that you work on and play pretty difficult pieces (Hindemith, Charlier, etc) quite well and then when you get to more simple playing (like hymns or low grade quintet pieces), you start kacking all over the place? That has been my experience. Any thoughts?

--JD

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I make it a point to concentrate especially hard on slow melodic pieces. I try and play them as beautifully as I can and focus on both the attack and end of the note trying to make both as clean as I can. I also am a.....lly retentive about the smoothness of the transition from one note to the other (approaching it more like a woodwind player than a brass player). Tough ones for me are open to 123/13/23 even 12 so I practice them. A good horn also helps....it's not always about higher, faster, louder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

We've all been there!

Heck, yeah, I've ahd that experience. It always ticked me off. Ok, it STILL does! :-)

As far as I AM concerened, when this happens to me, it is largely a matter of concentration. I am most likley to miss a note if my thought drifts, and this is easier for me to do if the piece is "easier" and I think I can take it lightly.

Even if my chops are feeling "raggedy" I can always play cleanly if I keep my wits about me. Unfortunately, I don't always do that!

Oh well...
    :-)

TTFN

ND

4. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for the post and insight...it's good to know you're not alone:)...

--JD