Increasing concentration and awareness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    We are all guilty of it at one point or another: that momentary lapse in concentration while playing. Wheather it's due to too much stress, a beautiful day, someone significant in the audience or too much cologne on the guy sitting next to you, it happens to all of us.

At times, it seems, our concentration levels dip seriously enough to effect our performance. Either we know what we are playing so well that we take it for granted (long tone studies, for example) or we just plain are not 100% that day for whatever reason. I suspect this has or can have a dramatic effect on nerves, too.

What do you all do to get up to 100%? A bad day is a bad day; but you pros out there: what do you do when you have a bad day to make it a good day? (If you know you have a performance that afternoon/evening or a recording session and you just feel a bit off, for example). For everyone: what types of excercises do you do to increase your level of concentration?

This is what I try and have tried in the past: meditation, breathing (from the Yogi Science of Breathing book), archery.

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Glenn,

This is a cut and paste from a post that I made a long time ago on the TH site. Follow the link to the "Concentration Charts" on Alex’s page and you will be amazed at how you can fine-tune your concentration away from the horn. This is not for everybody, but when I did them consistently years ago, I found that when my attention would begin to drift I would just drop back into the feel that I developed by doing these drills from Alex’s site. I’d really like to hear what Alex has to say about these too!

These days I just fall into the sound of the music, but those charts were a definite stepping stone to improved concentration for me!

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Wow...that chart is really cool... thanks Derek (and Alex). I'll have to giver it a try and maybe try it with a few students to see what happens.