Increasing Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 19, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    My daily playing schedule includes about 5 hours, and I get really tired at the end and can barely play anything, especially the high notes. What should I do to increase my endurance? Would the endurance excersises at the back of "A Physical Approach to Playing the Trumpet" work? Or shuld I just try to not play so much and so hard in the time that I have to play? Two of the hours that I play are self practice, everything else is sectionals and orchestra rehearsal.

2. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Well, five hours a days not too easy. But it's not the worst. I do about that in the off season of marching band, and more during the season. Things i try and focus on is making dang sure im not pushing hard to hit loud, high notes, so basically I use a lot of air. It's not too hard, especially if you have a teacher who can show you to play more efficeintly. But also, pace yourself. Keep yourself relaxed and take a day off when you can afford one

3. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Over the summer I took a day or two each week and just played through the Arban's trill section. If I actually made it to the end I'd start over until I decided it would be unwise to continue. Also try to do as much as possible in one breath- you'll get some killer lungs on your way to better endurance!
    Also, play quietly. No degree of italics could stress that enough. If I could, I'd italicize the word quiet so hard, it'd be a flat line on your screen.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If that was a "serious" 5 hours of playing, you have reached the limit. If you can play 4 hours WELL and only die in the last hour, you are doing as well as many pros. More endurance means that you need to keep an intensive schedule up for a long time.

I think that many times there are expectations that just do not line up with reality. Unfortunately, there are many band leaders that are not brass players that have no concept of how tough the trumpet can be. The brainlessness of what is described in many posts about DCI and marching band makes me wonder why there is such a following.

In any case, endurance is not "quick fixable". You need to invest MONTHS of an intelligent routine to build chops and finding 5 hours a day for serious playing means that you have NO LIFE. Endurance is earned and Clarke/Arban is as good as anything else.

The common sense stuff of not beating yourself up and taking breaks every 30-45 minutes apply.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  5. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    I think rowuk said it best. If you are already doing 5 hours that is quite a bit. My question is do you need more? If you're playing 5 hours a day then what rehearsal tires or gig tires you out?

I've done two seasons of upper lead in drum corps, so I know what its like to play demanding parts day in and day out. If you are looking for some tips, learn to be as efficient as possible. Play equipment that promotes that efficient mindset, breathe, and focus on a great sound with minimal movement all around your chops.

If you're putting in 5 hours a day thats fantastic, but I do caution you that when you get tired you can put yourself back to where you began by learning bad habits. So don't go too far.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've given Rowuk another green reputation thingy for his response.

Endurance is achieved through multiple repetitions using light effort. A five hour rehearsal dosn't meet the "light" part at all. As a "warm down" (not really a warm down but more a "putting together") Clarke studies (like Nr. 3, down low) should create a "tingle" in the lips. This is the sign of endurance growing as more blood enters the muscle mass. This is a good sign, to be cultivated. The Bobby Shew horse flutter brings blood forward, a good thing to do throughout the day and before warming up.

Endurance has nothing to do with muscle mass, but rather the flow of blood to and from the muscles. This allows food to be brought and wastes taken away. Bruising (common in marathon rehearsals) does nothing for the chops. It just hurts. Waaah! We've all been there, done that, but it is good to note that Bill Chase used to warm down for about 45 minutes after his gigs with Woody Herman on the bus with his mouthpiece. (It drove the guys on the bus crazy, but nobody messes with a lead player!)

To balance stuff out, if you are pumping away five hours a day, you should be spending another five hours playing softly.

Do whatever it takes to get that "tingly" feel going--it should do wonders for your chops!

Don't forget to scope out the flute players!

TrumpetLucian likes this.
  7. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    You're getting one of of the rep things for that! Great response capped off with a solid truth! Hahaha Fantastic

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If your too tired in your 5th hour to play your high notes then your playing 1 hour too long, to build endurance you have to build strength , if your tearing down your embouchure that much, it doesn't have enough time to rebuild before you start again. When practicing rest often, your lips should never feel tired or sore, don't play loud,try adding a few minutes every couple of days or more don't push it or be in a hurry, and during rehearsals learn how to pace yourself, this alone can help you last to the end, as far as warming down, its not something we can all do, a lot of times when a gig or rehearsal is over they don't want the musicians hanging around for another 30 or 45 minutes afterwords , besides if your tired more playing isn't what you need, just flap your lips until you feel the tingling , no horn or mouthpiece required .