Increasing Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 9, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm just wondering if they're any good exercises to increase endurance. It just seems that I have a very hard time getting through long passages (even if the notes are not that high). I don't know if it's me, or my instrument, but there are times when I wonder if trumpet is right for me.
    I know practicing a lot can help but that doesn't work. I can't practice for 1 hour continuously. Does anybody have any advice for me?
    Thank you.:-)

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    More practice,
    long tones, lip slurs. More practice...

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    It actually sounds like yours may be more of a "wind" problem. Because you are running out of wind...or perhaps more accurately, wind control/compression... it becomes a domino effect. Work on things to increase your wind control...and duration...and you will probably see an increase in endurance.

I will also say that - practicing for an hour solid may not be your answer either. Perhaps you should practice an hour of actual playing time... but over the course of "2" hours. (example). Maybe you are defeating yourself by trying to cram a bunch of things into that hour - that ends up inaccurately exposing your endurance issues. (does that make sense?).. Maybe you are better off than you think...but are just practicing too much without a break. ?? Build slowly over long periods... build up..not tear down.

Best of luck...

4. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    In addition to what everyone else has said, back off on the pressure as much as you possibly can. Experiment with how little pressure you can use while still getting a good sound out of the trumpet. I think it's possible you might be using a little too much pressure if you're struggling to get through long passages.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My advice is to get a teacher. Obviously you are not doing something right. We can guess all sorts of stuff and through "suggestive" powers create a reality that is not true. At best, we just give you tons of things to worry about.

What needs to be right? Breathing, body use, sound concept, mix of exercizes, an otherwise fulfilling life. That's all that there is.

6. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    This probably doesn't apply to you,
    but it might,
    so I'll mention it.

The muscles of the embouchure must obey the same rules of biology as the other muscles of the body.

If you have any health problems, whether they be from poor nutrition or disease or lack of sleep, that weaken the other muscles of your body, then those health problems will also affect your embouchure muscles.

I have a health problem that affects the strength of all the muscles throughout my body, fluctuating wildly from day to day.
    If I have a bad day that weakens my arms and legs, then it will also weaken my embouchure.

So, in addition to plenty of practice (several short practice sessions are better than one long one, upstream embouchures need more frequent rest than downstream embouchures), get plenty of sleep, eat right, see a doctor for health problems, and get enough exercise such as walking for the rest of your body.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I read in an interview with Bud Herseth that he practices 45 minutes at a time. I think that is a healthy amount to do. If 1 hour straight is tiring you out, try taking ten minute breaks here and there. Rest is very important.

8. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    And as for rowuk's advice, I do have a teacher, I just wanted to see what other people thought about my problem.
    Honestly, I don't really know if I'm using too much pressure, I hear that when you use a lot of pressure, you get a "ring", but I have never had that before....:dontknow:
    But I experimented one time to see if me using too much pressure was tiring me out. So I played with my trumpet with very little pressure (played some low easy songs) but I got tired faster. It felt like the trumpet was running away from my face and I was chasing it. Maybe it was more tiring because I only tried it once, but any other thoughts on this?

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

How long do you play every day? You may want to get a book of vocalises and play them every day. To start off pick vocalises that are in your medium range. They are the best thing I know of for developing endurance. If you're not used to playing them, you'll really feel it, right from the get-go. Select a bunch you like and start transposing them up a semitone at a time, for developing range + endurance. They're a staple for many soprano and piccolo trumpet players, and for many a soprano cornet player who plays in a brass band.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A student/teacher relationship should be one of trust, common goals and support. There is nobody that knows your playing better than your teacher. You coming for advice from people that don't even know you, have never heard you play and perhaps have more problems than you do isn't really productive in your case.

What does your teacher say? If your teacher is good, why aren't you getting better, or are you a student that goes for lessons and knows everything better - because you read it on the internet? What is really going on with you? What did your teacher say?