Increasing Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 9, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Rest as long as you play , if your working on something for ten minutes , rest for ten minutes. When you use or exercise muscles , your actually tearing them down , when you rest , you give them a chance to rebuild and get stronger . I found this also helps my focus and reduces my frustrations.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    When you say you have a hard time getting through long passages, what do you mean?
    Is your air giving out? Is your lip giving out?
    If its air. Try and use as little air as possible to get the job done.
    Learn how to play long passages by practicing a song that's fairly long. See how long you can go. Once you can go no further, mark it on your music. Work on using the least amount of air as possible. One thing that has helped a lot of people is an old trick I got from a guy who learned it at Eastman School of music many years ago. Imagine a hole (yes a hole) in the small of your back about the size of a tennis ball. When you inhale, imagine the air being sucked in through the imaginary hole. This will cause the belt area to go out and generally helps keep the shoulders down. Another technique is the circle of breath advocated by Rowuk. It too has helped a lot of people get control of their air.
    If its mouthpiece pressure, you need to realize, that just about any stress, fatigue, difficult music, just not feeling well, often manifests itself in mouthpiece pressure and clenching the trumpet with the left hand like a gorilla.
    If mouthpiece pressure is the problem, practice like you normally would and when you notice you are playing with too much pressure, reset the mouthpiece and play softly and be aware that you are working to lessen the mouthpiece pressure.
    All in all, my experience has been that trumpet players generally force the air (both in and out) too much and use more mouthpiece pressure than is necessary.