Increasing my Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Sep 22, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I recently got my braces off; what bothers me, is that I got the top braces off 2 weeks before the bottom ones. I feel like this messed me up for getting my embouchure back. I have had to adjust three times. I got my bottoms off two days ago and i can play everything up to a fourth space E cleanly and then I can barely hit the G. My range before these changes was up to E-F above high C. I was wondering if anyone had tips or excersises for helping me get my range back to where it was. Thanks in Advance!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jack,
    there is no getting your old embouchure "back". Forget it! The braces changed the geometry, you got used to that, now without the braces, the geometry has changed again. Depending on your age, your body may have changed during the "bracetime" too!
    The solution is a good routine and PATIENCE. If you try and force the high notes, your new embouchure will be trouble from the beginning!
    Long tones, moderate lip slurs in the beginning - concentrating on NOT using pressure are what I use with my students with and after braces. Let the sound be thin upstairs in the beginning. Fill up with air before every phrase and let the air do the work. As you gain strength, the rest will come!
    Private lessons can also speed the process up!

3. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Great Input Thank You!

4. JenTrumpet

JenTrumpet New Friend

Mar 3, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Having been through the braces experience (a LONG time ago!) and helping students through it, I also think that short practice sessions help. Try 10 minutes at a time, several times a day. Since you are using a completely new set-up, as Rowuk said, your muscles will fatigue quickly and then you'll start practicing bad habits. This will hopefully help you gain strength quickly while playing with the best habits.
    Good luck!
    Jen

5. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Forgetting the braces, how can I get my range back up?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jack,
    range is simple: prepare the foundation, the rest will come.
    The foundation is breathing first, then minimum pressure on the lips, tight corners (buzzing on the mouthpiece alone is good for this), lip slurs, long tones, breath attacks, PATIENCE.
    If you put yourself under pressure YOU WILL FAIL! Check out the thread

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/two-completly-different-views-buzzing-36609.html

on buzzing. "Pops" McLaughlin has an EXCELLENT post here. Maybe the best I have read regarding this. Simple and to the point!

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Hey, I went through the same process actually. Your braces probably helped you to loosen up on the pressure. Leave this and try not to let marching back knock you back (like I did, now I have to relearn to use minimum pressure). Any way my range was roughly the same before I got my braces on in the beginning of 8th grade. When I got them off I actually lost abit of range (I had my range rebuilt up almost to High C). The cool thing is that if you practice enough and start edging up into the highrange slowly it will come back. Now I have a solid range up to the D (above the staff), The C will always be there the D is abit shaky on good days I can reach the E and maybe F. So its building. The key to range is practice and the cool thing is it builds over time.

A good tip one of my instructors gave me was to practice your low register below C and the pedal tones alot. Don't warm up high warm up low try to go as low as u can go play pedal tones and get them. This alone will build up muscle for the upper register or a tleast the air support. Do alot of lip slurs and long tones. Try to get a nice dark sound. Use lots of air support and maybe do some Carouso Exercises. First start with the five note pattern. G G# A A# B (C). Play 2 half notes and then a whole note air attack the first half note tounge the second and air attack the whole note. The key thing to this exercise is play it without removing your lip from the trumpet. Steady air stream and support it. Breath in through your nose.

Here is the Basic Caruso by Mark Stockhausen
    "The Basic Caruso"

DONT DO IT ALL IN ONE DAY. Build it up concentrate for two weeks or more on the first alone, then add the second.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  8. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    Hey, when braces come off you have to be patient. You had to deal with using very little pressure, and this will be a big help for you, so braces aren't all bad! This is the time to get your fundamentals in place. Plant your mouthpiece, make sure the ring is just above where the pink and white connect on your top lip, and use nose breaths until you get comfortable with the setup. This will help keep away bad habits on your breath, such as pulling a lip out of the mouthpiece (a.k.a rabbiting!).

Give yourself a few weeks, and you'll be fine. Be patient, it will take time!
    I hope this helps, and please give updates on what you find helps the most!

-Andre

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I've had some real success with Colin Lip Flexibilities.
    Also, I think I read here that Tony Kadleck does Clarke
    studies soft up an octave.

10. crazytrmpetnerd9

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Thanks guys for all the input! I have been trying to keep the pressure off, doing some pedal tones, long tones, and useing my stomach to push the air through. I'm progressing steadily! Great input tho! Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007