Increasing My Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetGuy101, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on reaching higher notes? My highest note I can play on my trumpet is a double high C. That was in October, and ever since, I've been practicing with scales, arpeggios and whatnot to try and get higher. I simply can't do it. I think I may be doing something wrong though, can anyone suggest something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Double high C is reallly high, I think you mean high C that is 2 ledger lines up. Work on your pedal tones to build up muscle.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's the C that I'm talking about. Thanks for the tips. :)

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    This may sound odd, but go play the highest note that sounds good and tell me how the air flows in your mouth, like directional. I find it is all too common that people attempt high notes don't truly understand how to play them.

As a side note, there is no Double High C in October

5. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what you mean by how the air flows, but wow! You were a huge help! I just played the highest note I've ever managed to blow, unfortunately, I don't know what note it was. :p

What do you mean?

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

Does your air go straight out from your lungs, to your throat then to the mouthpiece? Or do you raise your palette and shoot the air up? That was the point of the question, not to make you blow out high notes.

ADAM RAPA NATALIE DUNGEY DOUBLE C LESSON [HQ] - YouTube

Adam Rapa makes a very good point that if you have double high C air and embouchure, a double high C will come out regardless.

The piece October by Eric Whitacre has no Double High C

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I answere on the other post --

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    It's an old story but not much listened to: Increase the center of your range. Not developing higher notes. The idea being to concentrate on musicality, endurance, volume, tone etc.

All the time I hear from cats who claim they "have a Double C". The real double C that is. Problem is that most all of them do not have a bandstand ready Double C. In most cases they don't even have a bandstand available High C. They can not cut through or play with confidence even at what i would call a solid high school jazz band chart.

As always Maynard has the BEST ADVICE concerning development of the upper register.

Here: Maynard Ferguson Clinic: 07. Q&A-How to Increase Range - YouTube His words,

"You don't own any note in the upper register unless you can play it romantically"

9. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    I believe he meant in the actual month october. But regardless that song is beautiful :lol:. and you're right it has nothing close to a double C.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I know, just a very bad attempt at some humor.