Increasing My Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetGuy101, Jul 11, 2013.

1. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I stopped playing sometime last year and picked up the cornet a couple of weeks ago. I'm really struggling to get any notes above the stave. I can just about squeeze out an F (top line) but it sounds awful. What am I doing wrong?

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Not playing for a year... you gotta rebuild a base of strength and endurance. Takes time. Months not weeks.

3. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the speedy response!

I realise that, and I'm a patient guy. But how do I get started? Are there any specific exercises that you can link me to?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    soft long tones -- in the staff, or below the staff also ---- play what you can, for a little at a time, take frequent breaks ----- do lip slurs, tonguing exercises (IN whatever range you have) ---- it won't happen overnight ((did I say lip slurs? long tones? scales?, exercises?)) -- yeah, back to the basics my friend!!!!!

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I am 2yrs into a return after 19 yrs off. I started off doing long tones, Clarke Technical Studies (slow and soft), Arban "Art of Phrasing" songs, and Irons Flexibilities. I did 15-20 minute sessions many times a day... goal was just to build up a base of "face time" and slowly expand daily time and range.

I'd say it took me 2 months to feel human again. 6 months to feel strong but 12 months to actually be strong! LOL.

gmonady likes this.
  6. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    A great way to increase range for me was playing Caurso's "six notes" every other day. Also playing Clarke's #1 in the low register as quiet as possible. Another thing that also might help is the use of pedal tones, they don't work for everyone but I like them and feel they help.