Increasing range (beginner)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzypadgett, Apr 2, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, your trumpet goes down to E. Check it on the piano. You only have learned to read transposed parts instead of ones in concert pitch.

2. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Yes I know...it was a joke.;-)
    We have those this side of the ditch.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Your smileys were not sufficient.

Please use [​IMG]for the future!

;-)

4. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Thanks for the tip! ROFLROFL

5. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    You could try long notes on G (second line of stave) played softly. Breathe through the nose (long and relaxed)and keep going for 2 or 3 minutes. Then rest. Build up the time. When you can do 10 mins you should be able to play above the stave. Another idea would be to take a short tune that you can play easily - transpose it so that the top note is a C (third space). Play thru it a few times. If that is easy and relaxed transpose it up 1 semitone and repeat. When you get to a key that is harder and not so relaxed - stop! Do that key for a few minutes each day for say a week and then take it up 1 semitone.... As you go up try not to press harder - try to keep the relaxed feel of the first key. Hope this is of use.

6. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    I've been taking the advice you guys gave to not play after I am moderately tired. I believe it's working, as I can go in, warm up for 15-20 minutes, and play through some of the higher-register stuff and the notes are coming out much more nicely. I started to feel the soreness in my mouth come on after about 15 minutes of this period, so I warmed down for 5. Turned out to be a 35 minute practice, almost half of what I'm normally doing. But I am betting that it's more efficient, since I'm not enforcing muscle poor muscle memory like before.

Thanks for the tip guys! I'm going to see what my teacher thinks on Friday of it. Those Ebs are coming out now woohoo!

PS Rowuk, I do think I have far fewer bad habits than people who have already been playing since a younger age. You don't think middle-schoolers develop bad habits through their career? Of course they can be fixed, but I'm trying to be efficient by developing as few as possible!

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    All this talk on not forming bad habits...

It makes me nervous about my ambition to teach someday. I'll have to watch my students VERY carefully.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi there

Everyone forms habits the trick is to try to recognize them as good or bad. In some cases someone's good habit maybe another's bad habit, a placemnet of the mouthpiece on the lip for example, I try to be as centred as possible but would you tell some one like Louis Armstrong who played at times well off centre he had a bad habit. Equally I would not consider forming habits a mistake to be avoided remember the mantra "He who never makes a mistake never makes anything." If you don't make mistakes you cannot hope to learn from them

Cheers

Andrew