Increasing range quickly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Einar, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Einar

Einar Pianissimo User

Dec 18, 2009
    Hey there

I'm playing 3rd Trumpet in a brass band and we're playing a song that is little over my normal range and we're having a concert after 4 weeks. So here is my question, do you got any good tips for building range in short time other than just a lot practicing every day?

Thanks, Einar.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Unfortunately there is no secret technique that will help you here.

If there was a way to build a higher range in 4 weeks every trumpet player would follow it, and every trumpet player would be hitting triple C.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I've never seen a brass band with a third trumpet... always been a cornet... anyway!

You can't quickly improve your range. Don't try. You'll hurt your playing by doing so. There are many articles on this, use google or the search function to find them. Playing softly is the general consensus.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you have the Schlossberg book, work it 10 or 15 minutes of your practice time every day. Concentrate on the exercises that stretch the range from very low to above the staff (C, D, & E if you can get it, but don't force the issue). That should get you at least a noticeable boost in upper range confidence & familiarity, which helps when you're playing up there.

If you don't have the book, find similar exercises in whatever you use. Don't over-practice the high stuff, though - you'll do more harm than good.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    start taking taking things up an octave when you can.

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Gotta disagree with Markie, and agree with Dale. I'm betting that playing softly is not what you do most, and that's what's going to build your range at the end of the day. Stay low. That's where the vibration starts, and that's about as much effort as you really need to play at any range. Playing things up an octave, as I did the other day at great detriment to my rehearsal the following day, is a BAD idea. Even if the notes are coming easy, fast and furious, as they will on a good day, or a few weeks after practicing softly as recommended above, do NOT take cash out of that hi note drawer every 20 seconds. You'll be broke in a day.

Ed

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Play your Major scales starting with the C, C#, D, D#,...etc until your reach to your maximum range.

If you do not know your scales really well, then just play the scales you know from low to high. Example- (Low)C D E F G A B C, F G A Bb C D E F, G A B C D E F# G, C D E F G A B C(this scales plays up to high C!)

But the thing to remember to to is play at pp and USE AIR! Don't use arm pressure, instead use your diaphragm to pushhhhhhhh the air out. Don't end up closing your aperture too much or nothing will come out!

Don't overdo this exercise, if you lips are tired REST! Overdoing this exercise will lead to bad results and bad habits.

This won't give you a Double C or high G or C in 4 weeks, but it will lead to good results with time.:-)

Good Luck!

8. Einar

Einar Pianissimo User

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks for good replies.

The highest note in this song is E over the lines (above the staff?) but my normal playing range is about A - B. i can hit the E and over that but when i hit the E while i playing it becomes very "dead" or ugly tone. Should i maybe just play long notes in the upper registry to get used/comfortable with playing so high?

9. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I would recommend practicing a lot that has already been mentioned.

Low notes/pedal tones
    Practicing long tones softly
    Practicing glissandos and bends
    Slurs and lip trills, ect.

I've noticed that the Schlossberg method isn't only great for establishing the proper technique for the upper register, but it also helps with resonance, tone quality and over all comfort when you're going upstairs. The same goes for the total range of the instrument from top to bottom when it comes to Schlossberg's daily drills. I highly suggest it.

If you're looking to really increase your range and overall playing over a long period of time, then look no further than Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice." It's a comprehensive, steady paced, 52 lesson based method that really increases range, tone, power and endurance. However, it is really time consuming...

Best of luck,

-Tom.

10. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I would recommend practicing a lot that has already been mentioned.

Low notes/pedal tones
    Practicing long tones softly
    Practicing glissandos and bends
    Slurs and lip trills, ect.

I've noticed that the Schlossberg method isn't only great for establishing the proper technique for the upper register, but it also helps with resonance, tone quality and over all comfort when you're going upstairs. The same goes for the total range of the instrument from top to bottom when it comes to Schlossberg's daily drills. I highly suggest it.

If you're looking to really increase your range and overall playing over a long period of time, then look no further than Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice." It's a comprehensive, steady paced, 52 lesson based method that really increases range, tone, power and endurance. However, it is really time consuming...

Best of luck,

-Tom.