Increasing range quickly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Einar, Feb 3, 2010.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    There is really no good way to increase your range quickly. There are some things you might be able to do to get you playing a little higher, but not without sacrificing your lower register, tone, flexibility and intonation.

If I were you I'd spend more time playing in the lower register and mastering your sound. Believe it or not, that will help with your range. It won't happen over night, but you will sound better in the long run and improve the right way.

2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Use your air speed and don't close down your aperture! Closing down or tensing up our apertures is primarily what shuts down the upper register... for most. When you stabilize your aperture, the only option left is to push the air speed with our abs... like we're supposed to!

Keith

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ofcourse it can be done.

The trick is what you eat

On mondays alwasy eat carrot. On tuesdays eat fish. Than on wednesday you must eat a soup that you grandmum cooked the day before. On thursday eat bacon, on friday eat sausages, in case you are christian than eat sausages made of fish or vegetables.

And on saturday you will hit tripple C

I guarantee

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Like everything else pertaining to trumpet playing, you have to practice what you want to learn. If you want to learn how to double tongue you have to practice double tonguing, if you want to learn to play high you have to practice up there, playing low notes won't give you a high range. You must work on breathing and breath support, try to extend your range each day, using long tones, slurs, scales, arpeggios , while using as little mouthpiece pressure as possible,rest often, alternate between high note practice one day and your regular routine the next. When practicing range building never play on tired chops, stop and rest for a few minutes before continuing, don't over blow, try to keep your volume at an mp or mf level.

5. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I've been playing actively again for about half a year after a huge break, and my current reach is triple C, but it's not sustainable, and I practice nearly every day for houuuuurs, to my own surprise I was astonished I could accomplish triple C in 4 months. SO if it took me 4 months to be able to hit triple C and play tunes with it, how long would it take me at my current pace to completely master it?
    You wanna increasr your range? We're talking about years here, mate ... now pass the bottle :-?

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What helped me was using the sounds A, E, and SSSSSSSSSS. A being low notes, E being middle to top of the bar line, and SSSSSSSSSS being around high C and up. It helped make me more consistant, and gave me about one note more, overall you need to take time, racing to get something is bad as I found out long ago. But when you use those sounds, your focusing on the shape of your tongue and its position in your mouth.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    It may seem strange that practicing low notes and lip slurs could develop playing inthe higher ranges, but it does work. Include in this formula regular, structured practice. Remember the old pun about how to get to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    switch to saxophone.

9. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Sax is so unfair!

10. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I got in to a routine about 3 months ago which inproved my range from a g on top the stave to a 3 legerline E (above the staff) in a matter of weeks, sadly then came the summer holiday and my so called routine went to pot! im now getting back into it again and have do the routine for 2 days and am already starting to see an improvement.

Working at the high and low range i use the Vizzutti method book one firstly i do the first long tone exercise in the book (also acts as part of a warm up) making sure the notes are really resonant. (also down an octave) then i go to exercise number 5 this is (in my opinion) is an exercise that when mastered with a full fat tone on all the notes and no straining or lactic acid buildup will stand me in good sted for playing higher. this exercise lasts for about 5 minutes at the correct tempo and is alot longer than any normal music would expect you to play long and quite high for! . Try it.

Peace NYCO10