Increasing range quickly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Einar, Feb 3, 2010.

1. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    What downer, EdMann :thumbdown: I suppose that different strokes work for different folks, but I work a long time every day on upper register playing, and have only found that remaining dedicated to playing there, I became very comfortable. ex: I blew for 3+ hours last night in the stratosphere with a ramped up funk band. I hit my horn this morning, and felt solid. I think if you fear 'taking cash from the high-note drawer', your either stingy or broke in other departments. That's mental attitude, man.

The brightside, you have a way that works for you, and I for me, AND... ppl get to read about it here, and try it all out to see what works best for them.

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The "taking hi note withdrawals" quote was paraphrased by from Bryan Davis, a fine player whom I respect, and echoed by most of the lead players I know here in LA. rbdeli had his own way of saying the same thing. Sound down is sound up. Having said that, they are not developing players per se, and they know how to play up there, but hammering away at high notes for 3+ hours is simply not the way for me either. At the least, I find them annoying and unneccessary. To put it another way, my high range is generally better when rested than tired, and if draw my account to 0, there ain't much left but pressure and pain, then bad habits will take hold and your done.

Good luck,
    Ed

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, take my and Ed's suggestions in context of the original post. He wanted a quick improvement to a range problem, and I gave him my best shot at getting the best result in a short time. Practicing high note stuff for hours a day for 4 weeks will do more harm than good, if you're not used to the range. Your lip will probably become beat-up and non-responsive on low and/or soft passages. Obviously, once you have a better feel for the range and want to develop it, more high note practice (balanced with other studies) will be the way to go. What I suggested was a systematic "stretching" of range over a short time to build confidence and familiarity with notes a little higher than he was accustomed.

4. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Absolutely, DP... there's gotta be balance. Everything I do with my upper register training is balanced with an equal of fairer share of low register playing. It not just the chop pounding hours of funk, but that mixed with hours of upper register slow, legato Arias & Sonatas (mostly flute and clarinet). But again, balanced with equal or fairer share of low register playing. Anyway, like we all agree, different approaches work for different ppl, which is why different approaches exist.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Increase range quickly, buy a bigger fuel tank?

I'm in that sort of mood tonight

Cheers

Andrew

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's what people keep telling me, but I like the looks of the small one...:cool:

[​IMG]

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I hear what you're saying, but there's a difference between maintaining an already developed upeer register and working to "play high notes".

You describe the routine of an active high note player. Someone who doesn't already have the chops will likely hurt themselves if they follow suit.

Someone new to cycling will hurt themselves and stunt their growth if they follow Lance Armstrong's practice schedule.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Worse case -lay out on a few notes or take it down an octave.

9. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Hey, Im three notes away frome triple C, and the best thing I can recommend is for you to get your hands on a book called "total range". That thing will build your embouchure, and will help the high notes come with ease and endurance. The book consists of easy to hard sluring exercises that take you from the lowest registers of your horn to the highest. The book is divided into sections from beginner to professional. By the way this book is no longer in publication. It seems that it was a form of cheating the system. I used the book during the summer and my tone, range, precision was improved greatly. Good luck

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Einar,
    for what it is worth -- I always played 2nd or 3rd chair in band (I am 45 and quit for 7 yrs, now I am 21 months into a comeback)-
    but I have logged 2000 hrs in those 21 months (3 hrs/day).
    so I am better than I ever was, even an octave+ higher.
    but the GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS IS -- practice, practice, practice. Range will only come with focused, repetetive, intelligent practice - long tones and such --- try not to force your way there ---- take the correct road ---- lots of hours -- the 4 wk thing might not happen --- but next year, the year after -- you will be better
    remember -- if you love the trumpet, put in the time, YOU can be better than you ever thought YOU could be -- I know