Increasing range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by D_MaN, Apr 25, 2008.

1. D_MaN

D_MaN New Friend

Apr 11, 2008
    Bendigo
    i have been playing trumpet for 4 and a half years and i want to increase my range. i want high chops but how?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Long Tones and Lip Slurs...lots and lots of lip slurs.

A few years back, I had a range up to a G, but now I can do a G an octave above that.

("normal")cdefgab cdefg (used to be my range) abcdefg(my current range)

Of course, you have to have LOTS and LOTS of practice. There is no quick solution to this problem.

Also, I play on a Bach 1.5C mouthpiece which just goes to show that you don't need a shallow mouthpiece to play high notes. Plus, the deeper cup gives a better tone in my opinion.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no such thing as high chops.

Players with extended upper registers are not doing more, they have trained to get the body OUT OF THE WAY. The gifted ones got lucky and did not have as many bad habits to fight (normally because they had great teachers early). They still had to invest lots of time.

There is no downloadable cheat. If you want great upper range, go find yourself a teacher that can play what you want to. You have to get your body and breathing together first and pay your dues to succeed. Before you start with slurs, scales or anything else, you need a professional assessment of your present playing. Only then will you get the right mix of body control and exercizes. A good teacher is a friend for life! Get and listen to professional advice, first hand, IN the practice room.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Listen to folks that have the style, sound, etc that you want. Practice, be patient, it takes time. Get rid of the concept of "high chops". You are a musician first, trumpet player second. The altisimo range is just an extenstion of your already master registers. Working on pedal tones will help the upper register.

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Working on pedal tones will help the upper register.- Bear

Really? I hadn't thought of that.

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It's the trutttttthhhhh.

7. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Playing pedal notes promotes faster air. And, to play in the high register faster air is needed.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,
    faster air means smaller air or pressure instead of relax. That is why I do not use this visualization. It does not explain what needs to happen!

Air velocity is not the range builder and pedal tones do not build "velocity", rather just the opposite. When I let the lips flap (as they do with a pedal tone), the aperature swings between very open and closed (if your chops are together - otherwise they may not close completely!). When the aperature is open, the velocity goes DOWN. To visualize this, take a garden hose and turn on the water. Partially cover the end with your thumb and you will see that the water travels further, because the pressure and velocity goes UP the more that I cover the hose (analog to tongue and lip synchronization in our embouchure). Pedal tones is essentially an open hose, where only the capacity of the pump (analog to our lung capacity) determines "projection".

The real reason that pedal tones help is because you cannot play them with mouthpiece pressure and they demand that you keep the lips "flexible". Most players without a high range play "tight". The pedal tones helps build new habits based on "relaxed".

High notes properly played are based on chop strength and flexibility, relaxed breathing and body use. They are all medium term projects not attainable by an immediate downloadable cheat. A good teacher will insure that nothing is left out, something hardly possible in a DIY approach! The proper approach demands monitoring by someone competent!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT THINK THAT INCREASING AIR SPEED WILL GIVE YOU A RELIABLE HIGH RANGE. UPPER REGISTER IS A SYNCHRONIZATION OF AIR, MUSCLE AND BRAINS - NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER! 600hp will not turn a Neo into an stock car. You need work on the transmission, suspension, frame and even the driver. There is no short cut to intelligent, monitored practice!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Thank you for explaining Rowuk... I take it for granted that people will think before applying.

10. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    Long tones, lip slurs, and pedal tones....Lots of them. It will take time. But you will get there. It just takes time.