Indicators

Discussion in 'Horns' started by fatpauly, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    If Leigh McKinney's efforts in restoring my 1887 Boston 3-Star "Ne Plus Ultra" cornet are any indication of the quality of Eclipse trumpets, then I would have to say that Eclipse trumpets are NE PLUS ULTRA!

I have posted the a pictorial essay of the whole restoration at: http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~artola/boston

Comments or questions welcome. Thanks to all who were involved in the restoration of this beautiful instrument. I can't wait to get to play her once again.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    That's fantastic, Paul! Congratulations!

I picked up an Olds Ambassador from a friend for free(he only paid $5 for it at a garage sale) and spent another $140(CDN) on it to remount the leadpipe(it was off), fix some of the bracings and a twist in the leadpipe as well as unseize the tuning slide. It's pretty playable now. I'd love to resotre it like your horn but I think it's a little too far gone. Besides, as good as the Amabassadors were they're still students horns. I probably don't have as much to work with as you did.

How much did you spend on the horn? Restoration? Plating?

3. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    T-pimp!

I haven't got the bill from Leigh yet, but his original quote without seeing the horn in person was very reasonable, even with overseas shipping. I am a little hesitant to blurt out his price to me, even when I have it, since people might start pestering him to do work on their horn for the same amount, which may not be fair to him. If you send me a PM or email, I'll fill you in what he charged.

I originally paid about $550 for the horn, which may be a little high considering the damage, but about right for the vintage. I really haven't seen many in much better shape, though several others included the case, extra bits, slides, and mouthpieces.

As far as the Olds Ambassador, I have a 1950 Ambassador that is in great shape - raw brass, no real damage, and a freakin' screamer. I am toying with the idea of getting a Pilczuk pipe for it and having Leigh put it together and finishing it in his Savannah lacquer. That would be a hoot. Also, I am still waiting to take delivery of an Ambassador cornet with a Yamaha shepherd's crook bell added on. The body is at Anderson's getting finished in brushed silver to contrast with the plate silver of the bell. Schweet!

- Paul Artoal
    Ellicott City, Maryland

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It probably won't cost you any more than about $1,200 for that kind of job Paul. And worth every penny too. ;)

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Paul!

Nice picture gallery... that's quite a transformation! I hope that I have the opportunity to give that Boston a blow, one of these days. Leigh's work is nothing short of incredible!

That is a perfect assessment of the quality of Eclipse trumpets. They are truly in a class by themselves! FIRST CLASS BRASS!!! :D

Best always,
    Bruce