influential player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigpapajosh, Mar 20, 2009.

1. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    hi all, i was in class today and got to thinking

who has been the most influential trumpet player. not in one persons life but for the instrument as a whole. i know there is no one specific answer, but im just curious what others think. an influential player is this because they have brought others to the instrument, changed the way it was played, and in their own style, were near the top. they can be living or dead, i just am wondering what others think.

2. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    It's so hard to say there was one, there are a number of people who I think have had the specific effect you are defining. To me a few of those are:

Louis Armstrong
    Maynard Feguson
    Miles Davis
    Arturo Sandoval

I can name lots of other heros, but as far as bringing others to the instrument, changed the way it is played, and were top that even other top pros would go out of their way to see, it narrows that list down. For me, these three fit what you are talking about.

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    For many people, the most influential person could have been a teacher they worked with, not necessarily a famous player.

For example, my elementary band teacher, James Steele, was great. Not many people liked him, and he probably shouldn't be teaching elementary band in my opinion, but he pushed people to be better than their best and improve. He's worked with Spirit Corps, and the Empire Statesmen, and he's really a great teacher if you get on his good side.

But as for famous people, Maynard is my hero :p

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    For me......

Bunny Berigan

Harry James

Al Hirt

Maurice Andre

Rafael Mendez

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    How about Timofei Dokshitzer, Raphael Mendez, Maurice Andre, Al Hirt, Doc Severinsen, Adolph Herseth, Manny Laurenao, and the multitude of Salvation Army soloists and instructors over the last two centuries? I could go on at great length on this subject and would only make myself start playing a bunch of old vinyl records to remind myself of missed oportunities in my own life.

OLDLOU>>

6. kayakdadj

kayakdadj New Friend

Feb 14, 2009
    for me wynton marsalis has inspires my comeback playing but maynard fergusen doc severson were my heros growing up i cant help but crediting Drum Corp international for taking me beyond just being a high school hack player

7. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Miles Davis

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I like very much SB's list but would eventually add to it:

Wynton Marsalis

Sergei Nakariakov

though hesitating I would put Adam Rapa as well.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gabriel.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I wish to add Joshua and his band at the Jericho gig to this list. As for Gabriel, I am anxiously awaiting the "sounding of his horn". At that sound even the dead in Christ shall rise with new and perfect bodies. Oh, how I look forward to that day. I am getting pretty tired of this old very imperfect body.

OLDLOU>>