info help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cocofrio, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cocofrio

cocofrio New Friend

Aug 21, 2007
    HI everybody, what's the matter with free blowing trumpets? are they easy to play? or not really a big difference with regular ones?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We all want a trumpet that produces a smooth dynamic range from whisper-soft to lethal loud and a cozy, comfortable and sexy mf home base. This ideal horn will be described then as "free-blowing," but what is "free-blowing" for me might be someone else's "stuffy." And their "free-blowing" might feel to me like I'm falling into it! Part of it is the player, part is the mouthpiece. Maynard advised his Admiral MF Horn for (in part) players using a "huge mouthpiece." I don't know what Maynard meant by "huge." Someone playing a Bach 10 1/2 c might consider a 7c, "huge," the 7c player might consider a 3c "huge." "Free-blowing" is also such a relative term, the promise being that our eyeballs won't pop out of our head at the first loud high note we play. I guess this might "help," depending on what one means by "help"....

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Long ago, I fell victim to the marketing. After all, "free blowing" must be better than the alternative. What? "Restricted blowing?"

Resistance in the right amount is our friend.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Or "Free ....." Nope, better not go there! One man's control is another man's resistance?

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    But resistance can be an obstacle as well, right? Why have I chosen a spada piccolo instead of schilke, selmer, yamaha or any other trumpet make? Because it suits me better. Why? The resistance is only one of the reasons. While Coco is probably speaking of B flat trumpets, I think that our requirements to a trumpet of whatever pitch remains similar:

1. Particular type sound we aim for (orchestral, commercial, lead, solo, big, fat, compact, delicate etc)
    2. Intonation
    3. Lesser the effort, better the trumpet (that is my philosophy on horn choices
    4. Response
    5. Slotting

I guess that the nature of Coco's question should be changed to get better and more informative comments....

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Free blowing is a marketing term that should not concern us. Free blowing is not a specific parameter, it is not measurable or quantifiable, it is just a couple of words to blow smoke!

When you try out an instrument, you should be able to play long phrases without running out of air and short phrases without your air backing up. If your trumpet impedance (resistance to blow) is within certain limits, it will be almost as natural as breathing to play! This amount of impedance is very unique to each player and is dependent on the mouthpiece too!

Forget ANYTHING that you read about trumpets. Only playing them tells you the whole story! Arguing about words is a waste of time!

There is never anything FREE about blowing a trumpet!

7. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Free blowing trumpets are JUST trumpets.

Deep mouthpieces are JUST mouthpieces.
    Shallow mouthpieces are JUST mouthpieces.

The difference is ALL in the PLAYER.

It depends on YOU.

I play a free blowing trumpet (The Wild Thing). That is because I make ALL of my resistance in my lips (Curl, compression....)

Players who don't make ALL of their compression (and that is 80%) need a horn that has some resistance.

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yup,
    My take: I like a "freeblowing" horn like pops because my resistance is in my embouchure. I play primarily lead with a largebore horn and a 3c mpc drilled out. However, I know several killers players who play the same lead stuff on "special lead specific" mpcs and ML or small bore horns. Forget the marketing and just try out a bunch of stuff and settle on the one that best fits YOU! Peace.

9. cocofrio

cocofrio New Friend

Aug 21, 2007
    Thanks to all of you that answered my question, it is very helpful.