Info on European Tours

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x3matt, Sep 11, 2006.

1. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    Does anyone have any experience in taking/traveling with a college brass ensemble in Europe? I would like to take my students and any thoughts, ideas, and insight would be appreciated. Specific info on travel companies would be great. Thanks, Matt

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Get in touch with Tootsall on this site.

-cw-

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    All I know is that my kids' (twins) band teacher wanted to take them to Italy for 10 days; as I recall the parents needed to put up about $3,000 Cdn per student. OUCH! The band parents voted it down as totally unattainable... oh sure, a few could come up with that much money. The problem was that not enough could pay that amount to make the group a meaningful size.

There are travel companies that specialize in school/group travel. Their prices aren't necessarily as low as you might arrange on your own but YOUR workload as a teacher is liable to be a lot less. Europe can be EXPEN$IVE, especially hotels and meals and a lot of "local knowledge" will certainly help keep the costs down.

If you want to take a band I'd have to say that one of your bigger issues will be in taking the instruments! If symphony orchestras are having difficulties then your kids are going to have a real tough time (ie, no carry-on larger than a clarinet or a flute?) Perhaps someone of you music teachers out there have had recent discussions with some of the group travel companies and can comment on their ability to handle the recent carry-on changes & etc.?

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    That cost problem sounds very familiar - even to those of us already in Europe.

I was on tour with a youth group over the summer and the parents were having to pay about £500 ($900 US, approximately) per student - that is combined with the fund raising that the band do.

We took the band over to the US in 2000 (Florida) and every student had to find just over £1000! For one family (three kids in the band) this was a serious financial struggle.

If you don't know about the area you are goiong (and especially if you are goiong to a country where you are not conversant in the language) a tour rep/guide is essential. If something goes wrong, they will deal with it (if they are any good). They can also (if persuaded nicely) act as a translator for any announcements during concerts.

The international air travel issue is certainly a new factor to be taken into account. The Arts organisation I do most of my work for is currently having a "crisis" meeting about what to do about tours - the combination of the air problems and the bad press that some tours (not ours) have received recently is making the powers that be contemplate whether we will be in a position to contijnue our tour schedule. I would be very upset if we were to lose it, they can be a great education for the students.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Classical Movements is the name of the organization that has taken us on our last two tours to the UK. They are exerienced with professional, amateur, and school groups. They're out of Alexandria, VA. They are completely professional and when I take my youth orchestra on tour abroad they will definitely be the organizers I'll use. I had a long talk with the vice president of C.M. and she's very good and gave me great advice and reality checks.

The people to talk to if you go with them are Neta Helms or Tanya Lervik.

Good luck,

ML

6. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    Thanks everyone, The group in question is a college brass quintet. So it will be subsidized through the college for minimal out of pocket for the students. I am just starting to investigate some companies, and thank you Manny, your suggestion is at the top of my list now. I have found lots of companies that specialize in high school groups, but my kids are looking for something a little different. Thanks for all of the ideas! Matt Frederick