Info on Hawkes Excelsior Sonorous Flugel

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by dwhass, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Does anyone have information on the Hawkes Excelsior Flugel. Years made, pictures, links to websites, etc. I know it is showcased in Brassed-Off....that was what raised my interest.

Help would be appreciated.

2. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    ".......Showcased in 'Brassed off'"........Please explain.....

Hawkes became combined with The Boosey Co. in 1934 so that is the last date of manufacture for the 'Sonny's'.......

The actual instrument played in 'BO' was not likely to have been one of these for several reasons.

3. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Cornet1

I am talking about the flugel held by actress Tara Fitzgerald during the Concert Aranjuez segment. I was under the impression (mistakenly??) that it is a Vintage Hawkes Excelsior. If it is not do you know what make and model the flug is?

4. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    I don't know what make that flugel is,...I might be able to find out....

Paul Hughes who played the aqctual solo on the soundtrack has not been in Grimethorpe Colliery Band for some time and I am not sure of his whereabouts but he is very unlikely to have used a Hawkes.

The instrument held by 'Gloria' is a typical brass band type of that era,...if I had to guess, I would say it is a B&H 'Sovereign'...and this is certainly the most likely make given the circumstances. It is also very likely that Paul Hughes's flugel was a Sov. or possibly a 'French' Besson..

The recording/film was made in 1995 when there was much less penetration of foreign instrument makes in British bands,...especially in Yorkshire!

The Hawkes era flugels were good instruments in their day but have not been used by most British bands,..at least the top 20 or so, for many years. I grew up with these instruments and while they were good, they cannot really compare to modern instruments in most playing features. The truth is that despite stuff written on the web, British brass bands have changed a lot in the last generation and that includes just about all of the instruments. The modern flugels have vastly better intonation for one thing not to mention a much 'bigger' voice. Also they are radically different in their above stave characteristics,...once was the time when you could feel the tension in the rest of the band if the flugel was obliged to play above the stave,...especially in an important band contest,.....but modern flugels are a doddle!

You could e-mail/message the band here;

http://www.grimethorpeband.com/

5. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    This question has been asked some time back on here or trumpetherald and I believe Noel Langley - lonelyangel provided the answer.....the flugel that Tara was seen to be playing was a Hawkes. The question asked wasn't who was playing Orange Juice..... I believe it was agreed it was Paul Hughes

6. bj

bj New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi cornet1

I think the flugel the girl was holding in the film was an old Hawkes. Of course she wasn't playing a note, so she didn't need to have a sovereign, the flugel used was for it's looks.

Paul is now teaching as a brass peri in North Wales, his home area, for the William Matthias Trust (part of the old Gwynedd area). He plays on the end for Beaumaris, and conducts their junior band.

Hope this helps

Brian Jones

7. pappa

pappa New Friend

Nov 18, 2006
    USA, NC
    pappa

I know that this is a little late for this subject, but here goes:

The flugel used in 'Bressed Off' by Tara was a Hawkes and Son, Excelsior, Sonorous. Sorry, I don't know the exact date of it's manufature but the name alone should be a good clue. Boosey was still a long time off.

I have been interested in this design and have been looking for a used one for quite awhile. If things go right, I might just have one made since I think that this particular design makes a lot of sense in view of the very large profile of current flugels. If I can get this to happen (and I might because a good friend of mine makes custom trumpets) and the sound is good, I will certainly share this with this forum.