Info on Helmut Wobisch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sinfoniantrumpeter, Dec 7, 2005.

1. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    I agree with ML on the cadenza idea that it should all be within the bounds of what the natural trumpet can do.
    I've also been very surprisewd how little a good amount of (american) trumpet players know about the natural trumpet's abilities (limitations?). I know a ton of players...good ones...that have never played or heard a natural trumpet live. Aside from solo rep and ornamenting, this has big implications when it comes to a lot of the symphonic rep as well. I'm told that in England it's part of standard conservatory education. Seems like it's lacking on this side of the pond.

2. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    let us not forget that the Haydn was performed on a keyed trumpet--not a natural one. But the same idea holds true for the keyed trumpet as well--not outside the limits of the instrument.
    ST

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Time for me to use my new favorite media word: "conflated".

Rob, my remarks were about two separate issues that have been conflated to confuse what I said. My posts were about the Haydn cadenzas and the use of ornamentation as limited to what the natural trumpet could do in a baroque work. Two separate issues. :cool:

ML

4. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    Right on. Two different issues that, I agree, are important not to confuse.

So with the Haydn...anyone ever play it on Flugel or Cornet in order to get closer to the Keyed bugle sound? I've heard it on a keyed instrument and it is VERY far away from an Eb trumpet sound. I think I remember the Shwartz recording being really dark in the second mvt.
    Anyone know what he was playing on?