Info on John Taber?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Does anyone have any current info on John Taber, former principal with the Montreal Symphony before James Thompson's tenure there; formerly with an orchestra in Holland, and also ex-New Zealand Symphony Orchestra? I studied with him for a year in Montreal in 1983 and he could outplay anyone in town without half trying. I think the walls in at least one teaching studio at McGill University are still reverberating from his opening to Mahler's 5th. I'm making plans to relocate to NZ and wonder if he's still in the Wellington area in NZ. Does anyone know or have contact info? I haven't been able to turn up anything online...

Thanks!

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Glenn,

John was in the Residentie Orkest (Den Haag) for a bit and then moved to NZ, as mentioned. I haven't heard anything of him since and bet that a detailed google search will find him still there.

By the way, the current trumpet studio (also my office) is upstairs in C601. The walls have been silent. So far.

Best,
    EC
    Brass Area Chair
    Schulich School of Music
    McGill University

3. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Hi EC...

Room C601...<chuckle> boy, that takes me back! Many thanks for this, but I've Googled 'everything Taber' I can think of to no avail, except to ascertain that his wife (uh, if they're still together; one can never be sure these days) is still playing with the NZSO. I'll keep looking...

BTW keep up the fine work - the Faculty outdoes itself every year and is simply, unbelievably outstanding!

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I, along with John, was in the finals for Montreal Symphony job. The Concertmaster was running the finals. I was asked by him to play Strauss "Symphonia Domestica" light and gailyROFL When I stopped laughing, I asked if he were kidding....................John got the job.
    My lesson was not to question the auditioning committee, no matter how dumb their requests!
    Wilmer