Info on late model York

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Gregg Davies, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Gregg Davies

Gregg Davies New Friend

Mar 14, 2005
    Gibraltar, Michigan
    Hi all I've just joined this fine group, and want to make and effort to find out some info on a couple of items I own. First of all a "bicentennial 76 York Silver trumpet s.n.214818 w/ two leadpipes, and first valve trigger, 465 bore. I cannot find any info post 1972 on these horns. My parents gave it to me in High School, it was the second choice since they could not swing for the Severinsen Getzen. And the second bit of info is on a flugel I just puchased. An H Cohn Superba 1 s.n.265647, all I could find is a brief descript on a Superba Trumpet. any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also, I see we have a bunch of Conn enthusiast (great horns) I also have a 6a Victor w/ the Corpion leadpipe. it is not in too bad of shape, plays well. Thanks a bunch, Gregg

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    York instruments

The reason that you cannot find any history past 1972 on York is that the company was bought out by Carl Fisher of New York. They closed down the Grand Rapids, Mi. plant putting a lot of us out of work,and moved all of the manufacturing capability to New York. They owned the York name after the buy out and continued to make horns of that name until about 1978 or 1979. The bell logo on th eYork horns still stated that they were made in Grand Rapids. The city manager of Grand Rapids threatened Carl Fisher with a lawsuit over it and they went back to the Carl Fisher name on the bell logo.

OLDLOU>>

3. Bulos

Bulos New Friend

Mar 15, 2006
    South Fl
  4. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hi, Gregg; and welcome to TrumpetMaster.

More appropriately, this is for Lou and Paul --

I recently acquired a York trumpet; no "model"-name anywhere engraved/stamped, s/n 129344 (1942?). Looks like a Blessing Artist or Super Artist (absent the dodecahedral-caps, ballusters and receiver), with underslung 3rd-slide throw-ring, "French-bead" bell-rim, "micro-adjust" tuning slide ferrule. (the Super Artists have a unique bell-bead).

I had been "tipped-off" by another repair-tech, that the Yorks were close to Blessing "clones", and in-fact, may share components ... (possibly supplied by Blessing?).

I am guilty of "mining" or "cannabalizing" stencil-horns for parts and components, in the interest of restoring more prominent and collectible instruments. Hence; my interest in comparing the York to others.

Nothing (parts-wise, i.e., slides, valves, caps) seems to be inter-changeable with the Blessings.

I cannot, and will not touch this horn, other than to play the heck out of it! It is terrific!

Can either, or both, of you tell me anything about these marvelous horns? This one I now have, is original (my preference) ... never repaired, overhauled, "massaged".

Gonna love it " 'till the cows come home ....".

Robert Rowe

5. Bulos

Bulos New Friend

Mar 15, 2006
    South Fl