informations about monette 1-4 prana mpc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beppe, Feb 9, 2006.

1. beppe

beppe New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    Hello guys,
    I'm enjoiyng this forum from half a month and it's truly fantastic.

I don't use monette trumpets but I'm looking to buying a monette prana mpc and I'm searching informations about the different versions of monette 1-4 prana mpc (cup shape & depht, rim shape, ecc.), 'cause these mpc aren't described in Monette website..

Thank you all. Beppe

PS: Sorry about my english..I'm italian..!!!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Buonasera e benvenuto, Beppe!

The Monette 1-4 is a comfortable mouthpiece and can be used for many styles, I think. The rim is comfortable and the sound is very strong if you want it to be. If you are a player that can be relaxed you will enjoy it. My favorite is the 1-4S because it has a lot of energy to the sound and also plays very softly.

Arrivederci,

ML

3. beppe

beppe New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    Grazie Manny... :-)

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Beppe,
    The best way to find out about Monette mouthpieces is to contact the shop directly. There are a few versions of the Monette 1-4 mouthpiece. There are even a few versions of the 1-4S. I think Manny plays the 1-4S Version 6. I went to the shop to try out mouthpieces and ended up liking the 1-4S Version 1. The difference are physically very small, but make a big difference when playing.
    -Jimi

5. Dan Millheim

Dan Millheim Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2004
    Fort Worth ,TX
    When I was 17 I took private lessons for almost a year from Phil Smith...true story! I drove 2 1/2 hrs. each way to the lesson at his home in Mont Clair (sp?) NJ. and was the youngest player, at the time, he had ever had. It was a thrill of a life time! I learned so much, and in the basement of his modest home where he practiced and taught, he had a case of diffent mouthpieces. I'm talking dozens of shanks, cups, rims ect.. He told me then to learn to play on the biggest mouthpiece I could handle. For 20 years it was a Schilke 20d2d but five years ago I switched to a Monette B1-1 and if that wasn't big enough (ha), I also picked up a B1-1fl... it's a grand canyon but amazing on Jazz Balad tunes. I love these Monette's and now play the Prana series. Whatever you pick will be wonderful. Good Luck!

6. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    but how do they play?

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I really enjoy mine, res... it has a tremendous spark to the sound without any edge. The softs are magnificent as well. I also like the rim better than my old C and B 1-2. The 1-2 was a very nice transition piece from the bach I was playing. Nice bite. Now, my tastes have changed so I like a little more curve to it. The one note that I can say is even more exciting to play is that high D in Alpensymphonie and the low register is very powerful and exciting as well.

ML

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey Manny,
    Have you completely changed to the slap mouthpieces? If not, does it bother you at all to switch between them when you play instruments that don't yet have Slap mouthpieces?
    They didn't have slap mouthpieces for E-flat trumpets when I was there, but then again, you're a little higher up on the totem pole than I am.:)
    -Jimi

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have Slaps for the Bb and C. I need to get one for the Eb but it's not a priority yet. Actually, waitaminnit... I just remembered I'm playing the Neruda for some outdoor concerts at Lake Harriet with the Minnesota Sinfinia with Jay Fishman. So, yeah, I'd guess I'd better get my order in for one of those.

ML

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    You're welcome :lol: If you've got outdoor concerts coming up, might I recommend a nice winter coat and a pair of insulated gloves? :-P

-Jimi