Inherited Mellophone without Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jul 5, 2011.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Donate it to your local marching band.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    That's all right ! Isn't an airplane without engine a glider ? Back to my first idea : natural mellophone !

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No it was sent off for cleaning and the mob lost the valves in the process - it's such a while ago, nobody remembers who the repairer actually was - they're probably trying to find a way to turn the old valves into a natural Mellophone ROFL.

4. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Without valves, it might make a cool planter.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This must be a little infuriating - having almost a whole horn but not being able to hear it as it should sound...

If you don't know what type of horn it is you could try google-image-searching for "mellophone" then seeing if any of the images match yours -- and if so you could take a closer look, paying attention to detail of the valves. If you can find yours that way you might also get an idea who made the valves. Then it becomes a search (on eBay maybe) for a used/junked horn of that model. (Actually eBay doesn't have any mellophone valves just now, surprisingly.)

Or perhaps get some wood dowel just the right size to slip into the valve sockets. Cut three pieces to length, insert, and try and mark where the valve openings - then use them as a guide to getting replacement valves made (without perhaps shipping the horn to a repairer).

--bumblebee

6. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    Considering the fact that you haven't heard it played yet it might be a good idea to try the "natural mello" idea just to hear the horn, and THEN have it repaired (if it's worth anything musically)

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder how well that would work -- you would really need to whip up 3 bridging pipes for the valve casings. The earlier suggestion of simply plugging the openings would result in a "natural horn" with 3 transverse cylinders interrupting the line... (I can imagine it easier than write it).

but you might get some sound out I suppose.

--bumblebee

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Hey Ted,
    Since a mellophone is a kind of horn, your natural mello could be a good hunting-horn, in order to participate in some hunts, seeking for jackalopes or dropbears ? ;-)

Hem, I just wanted to give some value to my idea … Sorry …

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ted, I have and have played a mellophone in F. I also know of them in Bb and Eb, the latter which was my oldest brother's main horn in HS. If you're gung ho on restoring it, I'm going to suggest you query techs about replacing the entire valve block meaning casing and valves. It may be costly but the results enjoyable. All I can say is I like mine as the right hand alternative to a French horn. I badly broke my left hand index finger which only made matters that were already bad fingering a French horn that much worse. That's why I switched to trumpet, even though I had to buy my own. The French horn belonged to the school. Is it in the general shape of a circlet like a French horn or more like a trumpet. If the latter, (and I'm hoping it will be) look on the second valve casing for a model number. This is where Yamaha puts theirs (as on mine). The Yamaha brand name is on the mpc receiver.

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    why would he do that for? he just needs to cut leadpipe where it enters 3rd valve and where it exits 1st valve and than use two inches of plumbing -prefferably from 3rd valve slide and reconnect the leadpipe. thats simple engineering.