Inherited Mellophone without Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mellophone? Make a urinal out of it. It deserves the best. It never had a more appropriate function. Urinals don't need valves.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Assume you've never played one, but I have, and so have many others ... the put down is that Conn and many other mfrs would not have produced them were there not a musical demand for them. For me it made a transition doubling to a key of F instrument from Bb trumpet far easier than to a French horn.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I would try to find a replacement valve body. or replacement valves -- do you have flugel with the same size valves?
    my recent experience with the king/reynolds frankenhorn was that if you want to replace the bells of trumpet with something else --- it won't sound good.
    I cut off a damaged bell on one of my king 600's -- and then tried the horns from an old wurlitzer amplifier -- one horn is like 2 feet long, and the other similiar to a mellophone.
    but neither sounded good --- and then I had a horn with a bell cut off - so I cut up a Reynolds medalist for the bell --- the result was great ---- but essentially it is all trumpet parts, and not really a mismatch of flugels, mellophones, and such

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Ted,

Run...run...run! ;-) But, maybe you really want to play that thing?

Appears you have a job ahead of you for what little you will get in return.

Best wishes,

Lloydl

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks all, lots of sensible suggestions - probably more than I deserve really?

The urinal solution sounds interesting but I suspect my boots might get splashed from the valve casing being unplugged. Maybe I'll just pass it to someone like Brian North for parts, or grafting in a trumpet valve set has some merit too. See, I'm at sixes and sevens - "junk it" seems the logical option - I might do that through eBay. I'll identify it tonight when it arrives and maybe post a note.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yep, that could work nicely, but then having heard the "natural" sound Ted might want to actually fix the valves and play it as originally intended.

--bumblebee

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Why spoil it? It's ideal the way it is. Unless by some strange twist of fate or boredom you want to channel Dudley Fosdick.....

Miff Mole and his (Little) Molers

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Went to the scrap merchant today - surprising what scrap brass will bring - this thing had twist damage, although it looked reasonable in the photos - broken braces, no valves, it was a former High School band member (well, one of the instruments really) and a cheapey at that. Last I saw it was being squashed by a very heavy Japanese amplifier - yes I shed a little tear, for the amp.

Thanks for the input - it was good for a laugh, so I guess the Mellophone's entertainment value persisted long after it's usefulness as a musical instrument. ROFL

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Urinal!!

10. Maurito Sosa

Maurito Sosa New Friend

May 10, 2011
    São Paulo, Brasil
    would it look cool if hanged in your wall?