Injury-Free Trumpeters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jun 14, 2012.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I assumed the OP was asking about injuries caused by playing the trumpet. Accidental injuries will happen to many of us at some point, but how many of us will physically damage our chops through playing, or suffer playing-caused hernias?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You may be thinking of when Chuck Berry was on the Tonight Show and he and Doc were playing together.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    No disrespect intended toward the OP, who seems sincere in her desire to learn the instrument, but rather than worrying about how she might possibly injure herself before beginning to play, she should get a good teacher, and practice correctly (i.e without overdoing it), and if it hurts, you're doing something wrong, so STOP and discuss the problem with your teacher, so he or she can help. The great majority of players get through life without any playing-related problems. Don't be afraid--just start playing, with help from a good teacher.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I know many trumpet players have mental damage that only lets them play well but does not lead to stable personal relationships. I know of none that have been cured. Many times the relationship thing ends up destroying their playing too.

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    The human body has an amazing capacity to recover from injury. The most famous one I ever saw really mess himself up was Louis Armstrong who never recovered his ability to play the horn after injuring his chops. I agree with Rowuk, that more damage has been done to musicians of all kinds from emeotional breakdown, drug addiction than actual physical injury. Don't worry about it.:-P

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Actually, Armstrong recovered much of his abilities after his Satchmo Syndrome time off. Near his death he planning a comeback tour with many old All Star bandmates.

ed

7. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Rowuk's post reminds me of this old joke:

Q: What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?

A. Homeless.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe nieuwguyski has got his finger on the truth. I searched the medical literature and it is amazing how low the prevalence reported is of embouchure injury. The scariest is embouchure dystonia, and that seems to be a preprogrammed genetic link. Considering all the hours we demand of forcing a hard metal object against fine motor units, trumpet players overall do really well.

Just stay away from those bar room fights, the sequella that comes from drug and alcohol abuse, and depression that comes from never connecting with Jennifer Aniston, that we trumpet players, as a group, are doing quit well.

9. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Buying yet another trumpet then springing it on your unsuspecting wife puts you at risk for a trumpet injury when she bounces it off of your cranium. I'm not speaking from personal experience, mind you...

10. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Bouncing a trumpet off your cranium?? OUCH, for you and the horn!!:shhh: