Injury-Free Trumpeters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jun 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What??? Cattle wear horns. It protects them from harm when these a beef. Don't want to steer you wrong here.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Pro I am NOT! That said, I enjoy playing after two aneurisms, a triple heart bypass, and almost complete set of dentures replacing the mess of my natural teeth. Only curtailment I now encounter is marching in a parade while playing.

3. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    I love how internet legends grow and grow. I've been friends with Wayne since about 1984. I can assure you he could play a Low C long before he could play a Double High C. And in his own words, he's not the type of player "that can take two weeks off and come back playing G's right away." He's a great player, but not because of a chip on his tooth, or some natural "talent" - he's a great player because he's worked his butt off on the instrument since he was a little kid.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

4. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Depends what you mean and I know you are speaking of professionals who coped with serious injury in their careers.

I do have some slight experience of serious injury however and I would like to reassure you that it is possible to play well and have a career following injuries either sustained in the past or while playing so perhaps I can offer you something.

I do make money from playing and I am a local celebrity so I would argue I am a professional and can comment - this is my experience.

Before I played I suffered broken limbs in my youth, then my feet were run over by a car, and very recently I suffered a prolapsed intervertebral disk, that was followed by broken ribs, a punctured lung, and broken neck in a road accident, followed immediately by a crushed skull and a concussion in a mugging (while recovering from the broken neck).

We cannot count the knife attacks as only one resulted in a minor injury and I managed to disarm the attackers so that ultimately was simply amusing.

I then started to play the trumpet and suffered a broken wrist at work, and 2 physical attacks while playing my instrument where the trumpet was smashed into my teeth by aggressive drunks. More recently I have been punched on the jaw for confronting a guy who broke the law. I am not counting several brawls and wrestling with the audience while playing, I never found out if that was motivated by dislike of my lively rendition of "I tawt I taw a Puddy Tat", or simply because I played Oasis.

I guess I could say that I have had many serious injuries and at least one requiring a morphine drip and a stay in intensive care, oh yes and the bridge work too, yet I remain capable and able to perform to the low standards I maintain. I am even respected and loved as a player with international fans.

Dont worry about injury nothing will stop you being the best you can be and being loved for it.

GeorgeB, J. Jericho and Vivek Patel like this.
  5. Padders

Padders Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2017
    Cambridge, UK
    Have you considered moving somewhere less dangerous?

GeorgeB and J. Jericho like this.
  6. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Theres a lot of truth in that and good sense, but we get used to where we are, but it doesnt seem dangerous to me.

It was brought home to me when a Paratrooper who served in many theatres of war including the Gulf War visited and he told me he would not go where I go with out packing a Glock. What a wuss.

The bar scene from Blues Brothers where they performed in a cage and glass from shattered bottles was raining down on them as they played is a walk in the park. ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017