Input Please: Why Is The Tongue Used In The Upper Register?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Dr.Mark, Mar 6, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have known feminine folks that were GIVEN goosebumps by my tongue action but that is another story and another instrument...

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I concur.
    Dr.O

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I learnt in Times Roman, but these days my aspirations and playing are much more Comic Sans

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I aspire to Fraktur...Especially for Wagner. It's just wrong in anything else.

[​IMG]

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here it is guys and gals, endoscopy and computer thomography. Through the nose down to mouth, vocal chords and diaphragm. Please go through the WHOLE THING before making assumptions or pulling stuff out of context. Even so, there is a lot missing here, but for those that read some german, it could be very enlightening!

Musikermedizin: Der Hornist im Scanner — Öffentlichkeitsarbeit und Beziehungsmanagement

uni'wissen 02-2013

It won't make us better players, but it may give some so many answers that they get back to practicing without intellectualizing the process.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Okay:
    1. The vast majority can't read German. I tried to convert it but no luck. If someone can, that would be great.
    2. Even less can properly read an endoscopy
    3. Even less than that can read a CT
    Wow! Rowuk-isms spiced with a dash of smart-ass. Most can't pull it off but
    This says or supports nothing. This is another example of you trying to nay-say something that you don't understand but that's okay.
    Heck this is so out in left field that I can't tell if this crap is about text font or about the original post. I can't even decypher what is N.
    For Pete's sake. What's it going to be next time, something written in Arabic?
    If you can get it in english, I'm down with reading it. Otherwise, it's of little use.
    Dr.Mark

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no success yet with anything discussed here --- and my tongue being used for high notes -- mmmmmm!!! I've seen a few good notes come out easily, but in the few weeks or so of this post, I have made little or no success in reproducing my efforts with my tongue ----- but it remains an interesting post -- even though I don't speak or read Arabic, and my German language skills stop at Oktoberfest --- oh, well, thanks for the thread Dr. Mark

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I would like to ask a simple question as there is something that kinda went over my head.

What is the problem with Rowuk's posts? I never understood the point he was trying to make. Rowuk, were you saying tongue is used you just dont think about it, or are you saying the tongue is not needed to be used? I can see Dr. Mark is not satisfied with any of your posts... I just missed the whole "What were you trying to say?".

If someone can elaborate would be helpful.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    By your appearance in your avatar, I doubt you learned to read in Times Roman font, albeit you did in a font with serifs, and more likely it was Century Schoolbook or at least in a heavier font and larger point size. Yeah, in most of the early comic books the balloons were hand printed without the embellishment of serifs as were most of the mechanical / architectural engineering measurements and data at that time. Yeah, a lot of musical notation vis a dotted half note is only a shortcut that saves effort and paper. My gosh, with a computer program one can quickly copy paste a repeat segment, yet if we did all this with upward near a 100 songs in our book plus all our other accessories we'd need to hire a porter to transport it all.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sorry Ed, I couldn't find a suitable smiley face icon to indicate that metaphors were in use :evil: