Insane Embrouchre Search and Advice Search

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Jan 22, 2007.

1. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    Here is the story... I was the number #1 trumpet player in middle school, got into high school band, did try outs and I did okay. I got into the lower band (unfortunately) because of stress and poor performance during try outs. Well I have been improving until total devastation occured. I have braces now. I have had them for about 3 weeks, and before and after braces I have been going to lessons to an awesome teacher. My teacher says that I need to play with more air, so I can fill up the whole band with sound. He says I do "pinching" when doing high notes, plus the braces do not help with the situation. Well now I am searching for a new embrouchre, because the old one is very unsatisfactory. Any ideas of what a good range embrouchure would be (if you do please do some explanation and maybe even diagrams if possible :-) ). I am also looking for advice for good breathing and how not to pinch when doing the high notes. I personally believe that I play the trumpet with the mouthpiece resting way to hard on my teeth, and that I need some way to supply cushion ( such as lip ) and to somehow put vibrating my lips into action. My teacher is an excellent trumpet player and has played in big bands. When he plays his whole mouth near his lower lip vibrates like crazy, with a up and down motion. I do not know his embrouchre, but is that how you are supposed to play. My teacher plays awesome, awesome tone and technique, but yet again he doesn't all of my questions. I know I have alot of questions, and probably bad grammar, but if you have any answers and/or advice... please share it. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    hmm, same position as me. I made first seat lower band (Freshman Band). However, this is with braces. I am better than both of the Freshman who got into the Upper Band now (I think I am doing a Level 6 theya re doing Level 5's). Any way, braces are tough my lip has been going in and out of condition even with daily practice for a while now. Some days I have good range some days I get stuck in ruts where E is hard. However, alot of braces is mental. DO NOT switch to tuba. You probably will suffer, alot.

I get my braces off tomorrow.

3. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    Well the reason why I am asking this question is that I am getting my braces off in a year and a half... Lucky you, but you have served your time.

4. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    i had my braces on for a year and a half. Got them on a week befor a sumer concert where I Was the only trumpet and I had a solo. Nailed it.

When I first started playing after my braces I nearly cried thats how horrible I was. Just concentrate. Play long tones (alot of them), start off with low notes in chromatics. (C B Bb etc). AS I already said mostly mental. Do not worry about high notes, alot of what you have to do is get used to the braces and get your tone back.

5. Shermock

Shermock New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Maple Grove, MN
    Hello, I have an option to share.

I have my students make custom-molded mouthguards with Soft EVA plastic, sold under the name ProForm in 4" x 4" sheets at .080" thickness. Cut off a piece with scissors, immerse it in boiling water until soft and pliable, and press against the front brackets (top 2 and bottom 4). This will make a mold that you can trim to fit that will attach to the brackets. No pain.

Couple that with long tones, mouthpiece buzzing, and easy melodies and you should be well on your way. Rest, rest, rest as well.

Hope this helps!

Shermock

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My trumpet students with braces have gotten help from a similar product called "Brace Relief"

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I suppose. I never used a guard, mainly because I hated the extra lump and it made me feel uncomfortable, so I just lived with the pain. IT really isnt that bad. The worst is marching.

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Well, we have covered this topic in other forums. Keep looking and you'll find some advice. You will find the suggestion of using teflon plumbers tape over your braces. I thought this a good suggestion so let us know how it works.

I don't like the advice your instructor is giving you. I will say nothing else. Let us know what the other trumpetmaster forums tell you and get back to this one with your findings.