Inspiration

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Jul 7, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Yesterday I taught two students from a place I, quite frankly, did not know existed. These two fine gentlemen are from the Faroe Islands.
    http://www.faroeislands.com/
    They are teenagers and they really played well for me. I worked on basics, the key to playing the trumpet well. I got their attacks in order.....I hope :cool:

Today, I heard their whole group play in NYC's Greeley Square. They were magnificent. It is a brass band that plays in tune. They listen to each other.
    It was uplifting to see young people perform on our instrument so maturely.

My brass band story-
    I was asked to put together a brass band for a concert in Washington Square Park. It was my only experience in this type of setting.
    I played Solo Cornet.........well, it was my gig:cool: Ed Carroll sat next to me, and the kid, Wynton played third. Wynton was about the same age as the kids I heard today. I can not remember the other guys on the row. Frank Hosticka played Eb. We played C trumpets. I know.........not cool!

Working with the young men has inspired me. I am going to start teaching at Colin's Studio in NYC.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bet their enrolment takes a jump!

3. bj

bj New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    hi Wilmer
    thanks for the info. The chap who teaches all the kids in the group is my brother. It's good to hear they're playing well.
    I was very impressed with the band when I played with them a while back (subbing for the sop player who was due to go away to a european youth band).
    That trombone player he has is more than a bit special too isn't he!!
    many thanks and all the best
    Brian Jones

btw. I apologise for any spelling mistakes, I am sitting in a Las Vegas hotel room trying to view the internet on the room TV - some of the reading involves lot of guess work.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Brian
    Ken Jones has a very fine band. They watch and listen, something that professional groups sometime fail to do. And yes, the trombonist was jaw dropping good. He played a flawless version of Czardas........where did he hide the valves :D
    The band stopped those lunchtime New Yorkers in their tracks. I watched them sit down, turn off their cell phones and iPods, and listen to a live un-amplified brass band. The concert was held in Greeley Square, an oasis in Manhattan located in the shadow of the Empire State Building.
    The kids were fabulous.
    Wilmer