Inspirations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Howdy Folxs,
    God bless you and g'day. This here is just a discussion topic I'm interested in. Basically, sound off on whom you're principal inspiration was/is for playing trumpet AND why. What about them or their playing do you admire?

2. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Well...not really and inspiration but here goes, In Fifth grade when we got to choose what instrument we got to play the alto sax line was really long so the person in charge told me to try trumpet where there was no wait until the sax line opened up...thank god for that...i could be an alto player right now. :cry:

3. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I had a similar situation. I wanted to play the saxagroan soooo bad in elementary (I was a misguided child). Well, so did everybody else. We had 7 altos, 1 flute, a drummer, and two trumpets. So, I gave in and played trumpet....the best decision I've ever made.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

For me it was all the trumpet playing I heard on a daily basis on TV, radio, and the movies. It wasn't a thought with which I was obsessed but it just seemed right to put it down on my list of choices for instruments.

ML

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    See ML,
    That's what I'm talking about. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a lil kid watching late nite tv and I saw Doc on the Carson show... I was blown away. Then not two days later, I heard Dizzy and I just knew then, the sound/power that Doc had and the ideas and range of Dizzy. I just had to play trumpet. Told my parents, and the next year (8th grade) I got to sign up for band and begin my career. Man, I'm always so down, if I just had the motivation and fortitude to practice my butt off in high school, I could be somewhere right now living my dream... But instead I was the regular kid with teh talent who did just enough to coast by... so stupid. But, hindsight is 20/20 they say.

Tim

6. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    [sound off on whom you're principal inspiration was/is for playing trumpet AND why]

Well. here goes.

I was in fourth grade (many, many years ago) when Doc Severinsen came to perform with the Rochester Orchestra. MAN! was I hooked. I remember turning to my mom and telling her, "I want to play just like that." Well, of course I'm not up to his standards (then again, who is?), but I've done very well for myself. I'm playing in six different groups and soloing quite a bit. Last year I counted 85 gigs. And I'm loving it more and more.

Oh, and the best part. I finally got to meet Doc in March of 2002 at a reception at Orchestra Hall after a concert. I think that's the only time I've gotten really nervous about meeting someone and asking for an autograph. (and I was 41 at the time)

Even after all these years, he's still THE MAN!!! :play:

Warren

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Principal inspirations

Roy Falshaw - a trumpet teacher who came round to my school with a trumpet. He played to us and asked if anyone wanted to learn. I (apparently) went home and told my parents that I was going to start playing the trumpet and that I needed an instrument! They found me a very battered old thing (purchased for 1p) and the journey began.

When it comes to who further inspired me to take my playing beyond just playing in school - a record (LP) by Crispian Steele-Perkins Shore's Trumpet opened up a whole new sound world for me. Not just the sound of natural trumpets (he is playing instruments made in the 18th century) but also the beauty that is in every note he plays. Having lessons from him, later in life, has been some of the finest hours in my learning life.

Richard Martin should also get a huge mention - my university teacher who improved every aspect of my playing, opening up a whole new world of trumpet playing. Truly a great player and an amazing teacher.

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

From a very young age (3 or 4 years), My older Sister and I used to attend brass band rehearsals where my Dad was euphonium player, so I guess cornet playing is "in my blood". (my sister went on to study music and has been MD of the band !!) http://www.cityofwaterfordbrass.org

The conductor of the band at the time was a real music fan, he had hundreds of LP's (remember them?) of every orchestra playing all the repertoire for any composer who ever lived (well, it seemed like that). I remember being at his house once listening to Holzt The Planets, and I said something like, that tempo is a bit slow isn't it, he replied, I don't think so, Holzt is conducting :) Anyway, he used to make odd compilation tapes of various kinds of music for my dad to play in the car, and one of those included Maurice Andre playing the Handel Concerto in D minor for Trumpet and Organ. It sent chills down my spine as an 8 year old, and it still does now how ever many years later. I bought the dots to it recently but can get nowhere near it.. maybe I should put some time into it!! :)
    From a cornet playing point of view, Jim Shepherd came to our region in Ireland years ago as guest soloist and tutor to a regional band (i.e made up of several bands from the region). I think I was about 10 or 11 at the time. He played the old classic Hailstorm which was amazing as I'd never heard triple tounging like that before.

There are far to many influences now to list, but those two from the early years stick in my mind. Originally, I just wanted to play in the band with my Dad (who used to, and still does teach the beginners), since then I've gone on to play in a multitude of situations,brass bands, orchestras, theatre orchestras, big bands, as soloist etc.. which I owe to him really!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Inspiration is a great topic to discuss. Without it, even the top pro's in the business can stall and feel uninspired. As an aspiring pro I think it is one of the most important elements to have. I've been collecting inspiring articles, interviews, notes from lessons, and whatever else in a binder. I take it out a few times per week and read through an article. That really inspires me. Also, I listen to a new piece of music every day that I've never heard before. From a Wagner overture to a Strauss opera, you can get through lots of new music if you listen to one new piece a day. While listening be active, not passive. I used to listen to recordings and not really hear. Really pick apart the playing. Listen to singers and string players for phrasing. Phrase in a natural way, not according to rules. Be musical all of the time. Make it sound easy. Listen to live great musicians. No recording can capture the live performance with clarity.

10. spirithorn

spirithorn New Friend

Mar 3, 2005
    North Carolina
    We're talking inspiration, right, not necessarily the greatest player...
    In high school in the 60's I played 1st trumpet in a Tijuana Brass cover band, so I'd have to say Herb Alpert. Not the greatest music in the world, not the greatest player. But he sure did what he did well, and made it look effortless. That inspired me as much as anything.