Inspired, now I need things to get started.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Doruga, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Doruga

Doruga New Friend

Aug 14, 2010
    Hello, so I guess I will give you some background information for a better answer. I am currently a Trumpet player in my schools Jazz band, I am a Junior, have been playing sense 5th grade so 8 years. I have a Getzen Eterna 700, and a Barrington Flugelhorn, I have Jo-Ral straight mute, soon getting a cup mute. My mouthpiece for trumpet is a J. Marcinkiewics 3/5C, and a Bach 7 FL. I just had a concert with the Diablo Valley College Night Band, and I wanted to be just like them, but I have nothing to help me to get to that point. Funding my own hobby for the small things like books and what not is difficult with no way to get a job. So basically I am asking, if I should save for something nice, a warm-up, and some range and tech. building exercises. If so I will save to buy books just have to do some chores =D thank you for all your help.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Play at some coffee shops, farmer's markets etc for tips and you'll get money to buy those things. And probably for those few hours, be making more than your parents do.

3. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    Have you tried looking into a community band? Or talking to the players you wanna be like? I always liked the idea of talking to those who are where you want to be. Sometimes they have great advice, or may be even willing to help a young player. They may have warm-up books, technique books, or even free time to offer. Best of luck.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

I suggest you keep searching the net for info. There are plenty of things online that many are so gracious to just give away. Warm-ups are easy to find. Try this site for more music than you could possibly play in a lifetime.

Sheet Music Plus - World's Largest Selection of Sheet Music

Here's a warm-up that I like and it's only $3!

Trumpet Warm Ups sheet music by Walter Moeck | Sheet Music Plus

Here's a flow study. It's free!

http://people.moreheadstate.edu/fs/g.wing/files/20 minute routine revised Fall 2008.pdf

The point is to keep digging and stay "hungry". Oh yeah, Practice! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I always play crappy with crappy players but when I rub elbows with realy good musicians It always makes me better. Get into as many group settings as you can with the best players that will let you play with them. I have yet to see a great musician not welcome a hack like me. Though they may not intentionally be teaching I am tuned in to their work and soaking up as much as I can of their technique. Be careful not to disrupt what they are doing and ask sincere questions when you can. Realy good players are not threatened by other trumpet players wanting to be better. Have fun at all costs! Its the fun factor that makes a hobby better than a job!

6. Doruga

Doruga New Friend

Aug 14, 2010
    Thank you all for your help, and I don't really know exactly who I want to be like but for starters I wouldn't mind being like my Teacher

7. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    Make sure to tell him/her that. It would undoubtably brighten thier day. Best of luck.