Insructional DVD's?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bydetn18, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    As a returning trumpet player after 10 years, I know I would benefit from actual lesson from an actual teacher. However, it is not currently financially feesable for me to take private lessons. Plus, I'm not aware of anyone in my area (northeast Texas) that offers trumpet lessons for adults. So, my question is, would an instructional DVD or DVD series be an acceptable substitute, atleast for the time being? And, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I know James Morrison has an instructional DVD, aptly named How to Play the Trumpet the James Morrison Way. Look it up, it might help you. As a replacement for a teacher though? I don't think so.

3. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Yeah, its true. A DVD can never really be the same as an actual teacher. But, until I get to a point that I can actually get a teacher, I was thinking that a DVD could be helpful for me. Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check that one out.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Check out Greg Spence's website: Yamaha trumpet artist Greg Spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook for beginner trumpet players who are learning how to play the trumpet this online tr
    I thought George Rawlin had a DVD but I can't see it listed on his website. He has youtube videos though. His site is gRawlin Trumpet, gRawlin Trumpets, Solista Trumpets, Trumpet News, Instruction, and Inspiration. AirPlay / PowerPlay method of Instruction, Church Instrumentalists Blog, gRawlin Mouthpieces Click around it for the training/tips page which has a lot of content and some video links.
    Charlie Parker has some good video notes for jazz trumpet techniques on youtube if you are past the basics.
    And don't forget Eric Bolvin! http://www.bolvinmusic.com/index.html (check through the pages for the lessons and videos)

--bumblebee

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The best single DVD I've found on this topic is "Trumpet Secrets Revealed", by John Thomas. It's down-to-earth, practical, usable.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you consider Denton to be NE TX (I know Texas is BIG), then you are in a good spot. The University of North Texas in Denton has one of the finest music schools in the country, and the trumpet program there is FAMOUS. You should be able to find someone (an advanced student, or the like) to give you lessons that you can afford. Believe me when I tell you that no DVD can do what a few lessons can, and they will be worth everything you pay for them.

email one of the professors and I almost guarantee you will be hooked up with someone for lessons.

[email protected]

[email protected]

7. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Yeah, I'm about 177 miles east of Denton. But, if I was closer to there, it would be definitely something I would look into.