Instruction tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jan 14, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am picking up a student this week ... he is in his 40's and highly motivated. He has never had any real formal training and has asked me to help him specically with the Arbans.
    I am concerned about giving him too much too soon ... he will practice as long as the lesson takes him.
    He currently "practices" about 2 hours a day... but it isn't formal and I am not sure exactly what he is playing.
    I figure I will start out with the early number exercises and that should help keep the lip stress to a minimum.
    Emphasis the rest between exercises.
    No range exercises for 2 weeks?
    Try to keep his playing to 2/3's mf
    I am just not sure how much to hit him with ..
    Clarke's Techinical Studies... single, double, tripple tongue
    Sight reading...
    Range Exercises at the end...
    I am guessing he will need help with sight reading so that will help as he will be playing with a metronome at slower speeds initially.
    I don't believe he has any playing engagements projected but will ask.
    Side note... I am a real advocate of tonguing exercises.. ie Arban's pg 125 , Clarkes.. single, double etc.
    I just don't want the poor guy to wind up with chops wired tighter than a steel drum after a few days.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With an adult I'd start out with some simple tunes. Your student will practice them and most likely be frustrated, because the ideal of how the piece should sound and what comes out the bell will be two different things. You can then start introducing exercises to fix things. Breathing in and blowing out aren't just exercises but the means to better note connection and sound. Lip slurs become a way to move from note to note, etc. In the best of all possible worlds your student will come in each week and ask, "What can I do to make this better?"

Teaching is one of the best ways to improve our own playing.

Have fun!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks VB ... I didn't exactly say what his expertise level was.. he plays pretty good.. has nice tone .. pretty big sound. He lacks the things you get through formal training. I won't know where the holes are until we have a run through. My main fault in teaching is assuming the students expertise is higher then it actually is.
    i.e When I was in high school I picked up a guitar student.. first question I asked was "Do you know how to tune yur guitar?" ,, the replay was yes... so I moved on .. the following week when the lesson started I asked the student to play the first exercise... woah.. sounded terrible... asked to see the intrument and the strings were like steel beams.. sooo tight ... so I asked how do you tune your guitar... the student proceeded to tighten the strings without reference to any pitch...
    I do like the concept VB.. teaching things that may not seem like teaching .. smart