Instructor Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    As stated in another thread, I'm going in for my second lesson tonight. I'm pretty happy with the guy that's teaching me; he's about my age, seems genuinely enthusiastic about his job and gigs professionaly as well as teaches. At this point in time, I have no buyers remorse for signing up with the first guy I came across.

I live in a town that has two music stores, so more potential instructors. We also have a private university in town that has a really good music program. My thinking is that perhaps I shouldn't limit myself to one instructor. Maybe I should switch it up every few months to keep the enthusiasm level high and avail myself to different methods. It certainly can't hurt, I think and a person can never have too many connections.

I'm not sure, though, that this is a good thing from the instructor's point of view. Like I said, I'm happy enough with my current instructor so far. I know a lot of you teach, so I'd appreciate your council. Do students work with you for a couple months, then take a break, or do they sign on for the long haul?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It's YOUR comeback! Ask your current teacher how he'd feel if you got some lessons elsewhere.

My experience - one teacher weekly the past 4 years -summers off. This summer I augmented the off time by taking some lessons from a jazz performer/professor and we both really enjoyed it. When I told my regular teacher she said she thought it was terrific to get lessons from both, and offered to let me choose who would do what when.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Mark,
    This has the potential for a possible collision course between instructors and confusion as to "Who do you trust" when it comes to you and your approach to the horn.
    Whether you're a comeback player or just starting out, stick with one teacher for at least a year if you can afford it and your schedule allows it.
    During that time YOU SHOULD BE WORKING on the technical aspects of trumpet playing Here's a short list of those aspects:
    How to single, double, and triple tongue.
    How to lip slur
    How to use dynamics (a very overlooked topic for trumpets)
    How to develop a good sound which is full but not blatty and projects but doesn't go loud to do it.
    How to not use mouthpiece pressure to change notes
    How to use your air
    How to sing with the horn

Give the teacher a year. Just remember, you are responsible for your advancement on the trumpet. That means practice what you're told and ask questions when you're in class.
    Exercises should be assigned with your ADVANCEMENT in mind ex: exercises that focus on tonguing, slurring, dynamics, etc...
    You want exercises that follow a "to do list". Each exercise should be discussed with you by the teacher as to what they will be looking for when you play next time.
    There will be other facets of the horn that I'm sure people will put on "the list"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Thanks for the advice, I shall take it all to heart.

I think I'll stay with the current guy until I get to know him and he gets to know me a little better. Then I might ask him his thoughts. I was originally thinking about taking lessons in blocks of a couple months, then take a month or so off to practice and perfect the lessons taught. Right now, I'm leaning toward staying with this guy at least a year, as suggested. That's not to say I won't take a lesson or two from another person concurrently!

Mark

5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    I was very lucky to have several great Teachers.
    I learned something from all of them.
    For right now just stick with what ya got.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that you need to get into this guys program and wait at least 6 months before doing ANYTHING else. No teacher has instant turnaround, but an active player often has opportunities for students.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Ive had times where I had two teachers. It was hard when I had two lessons a week and had to prepare for both. The two teachers had very different approaches. I think I did learn faster when I did it.

Later in life I studied with some pros. I don't think they liked it when I would tell them what the other guy told me to do. Still, it helped me to get different ideas.

8. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Yes, I'm in agreement. I like my teacher and he's doing things to test my boundaries, yet not overwhelm me. I like that. He has hinted about "opportunities" during both lessons I've had with him. I'm going to stick with the program for at least six months, I think that's great advice. So far, I think the guy deserves at least that.

Mark