Instructor/Teacher Columbus,GA area

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Howdy all,

As I go through the volumes of information on this board hoping improve upon my High School expirence with the trumpet I've come to the conclusion that I should most likely seek out the services of a qualified instructor if I'm to progress to the level that I'd like to.

I'm my own worse critic, after a twenty year absence from my horn I picked it up with great ferver about 1 year ago and have been hammering away every day since.

I can play low F# through high C with no real problems. Above high C is another story. I got the D above high C once or twice but I really don't count that. Intonation seems Ok to me, pleanty of power for the fff stuff, and technical skills need some work.

I'm playing music that is at least at the level I left off at. In the community band I'm in, the Bob Barr Community Band in Columbus, GA we play a lot of Sousa march's in cut time, and I like to play lead trumpet pieces like music from the Phantom of the Opera and John Williams show tunes (Star Wars) etc.. Fanfares like the theme from Battlestar Galactica etc..

Having said all that, I think I'm doing ok for a 36 year old that desperately wants to re-capture the horn player he once was. If I only had the wisdom back then that I have today me and Mr. Laureano might be associates on one level or another, or at least I'd like to think :oops:

I was often told by my music teachers that I was going to go places if I stuck with it. How lucky today's students are to have access to these very forums we communicate on today. In 1981 such a creature did not exist!

Anyone out there know of someone they might be able to steer me to in the Columbus, Georgia area?

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Your best bet is to go to Columbus State University and start taking lessons from the teacher there. His name is Dr. Moffatt Williams.

http://music.colstate.edu/faculty/faculty.asp?strRef=13

I am sure he can help you out with your questions and concerns. He might also know of other trumpeters in the area that you can get together with and play. I hope this information is helpful.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks Alex!

Somehow or another I had a feeling I might hear from you! I'll look him up. Thanks for the advice.