Instrument Coating Besides Lacquer and Plateing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by lovevixen555, Dec 16, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I was woundering does anyone know a place that will Nitride or Anodize instruments? I was thinking that a black nickle or black soft crome plateing might be kind of cool? Ionce had a gun soft crome plated which is a black shiny finish much shinner then rust blueing and more durable but not as durable as hard crome which is the shiny bright nickle like apperance most of us think about. I know Cannon Ball has a black nickle coating but who does it for them? It might make for a nice alternative to silver plateing? So if anyone knows please let me know! I also considered Titanium Nitride but the only place I know that does it only does machine part's. Titanium Nitride has a gold like look that is almost transparent and it is insanely durable. If any of you have seen the large gold colored Desert Eagle Magnum automatics that look gold in color this is Titanium Nitride coating.

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I think you may be going a bit overboard here, I wouldn't dream of taking my horn in to get a black plating even if I had the money, it's just not that important, and I'm not even sure it's preferable to silver. I think that it might just be mostly for cool looks, but I don't know a lot about it anyway...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    _

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    lovevixen - one of the problems that I see with some coatings is in dent removal. I have heard that if you try to remove a small dent that the coating make crack and flake off. I would check with a tech first, but I can see where a different coating could be neat.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I saw that Cannon Ball offers a black nickle coating that is almost translucent. It kind has the look of like a high end custom paint job. You knew where you can almost tell that their is acolor under the top coat to make it more deep and rich but you can not tell what that color is. Also I am sure we have all seen paint jobs where it looked like it was still wett and hada lot of depth to it???

I am just trying to explore something different then more of the same. I figure for the last 100 year's most trumpets from high end to cheap Chi-Com made junk all look about the same. On that same note I do not want to make it look like a toy either. You foolw me something elagant but not just more of the same. In the end it is true it really does not matter all that matters is how it sounds but some times it is nice to stand out a bit.

I had considered copper plateing but I am thinking that it would leave the trumpet in need of a lot more maintence then a silver finish because copper tends to tarnish faster then silver. It would look different but I do not know it is would be worth the trouple. SO I am considering doing the bell in copper and all the tuning slides and the rest of the trumpet body in silver.It is just an idea though it not cast in stone.

Yes I am glad performances are seldom held any place where produce or stones are widely available as it could make life far more dangerious!LOL

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Taylor, NYTC, Zeus, Conn.....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (Conn appr. 1940)

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Even taking dents out of lacquer makes it stretch and flake. Some shops do spot lacquering to cover it up, but it is hard to match the tone of the old stuff.

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think most of those are clear lacquer over copper parts (copper bells and leadpipes) rather than straight up new finishes

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, I know that what I propose is not new by any stretch just less common. I live in the middle of Michigan in Farm country! If I lived in down town Detroit sure a copper bell and silver body would be nothing new. Think fly over country guy's !!! LOL I got the idea for a copper bell from Conn's Coprion bells and leadpipes. I am looking at a vintage Red Brass bell which has to be 85% Copper or greater to qualify as Red Brass so if I go that route I considered copper plateing it just to get the look I want. Silver plate the rest and maybe do the trim parts in copper etc..... A friend recomended I use clear lacquer onthe copper parts to keep them looking nice. In fact just last night I was a t a band concert at a local H.S. that was held after my boy's wrestleing practice. Their was one that's right one silver instrument out of all the brasswinds includeing woodwinds made from brass. It was a silver trumpet and it looked like a Xeno but I could only get to with in about 20 feet so I am not 100% sure of the make and model. Their was one instrument made out of wood in it's natural color the rest where brass or plastic.... I did not see a single flute lying out so go figure no clarinets either. They had all their instruments onthe floor I had never seen that before. We always kept or gear in the band room and walked out of the band room onto the stage with our gear or we had it preset onthe stage. We never where allowed to just place instruments ont he floor like that.Again think fly over country lot's of cattle and corn fields! In fact I have to drive 85 miles to go to a jazz or blues club that has any talent!!!

Also bear in mind I am building this for my 10 year old! It should prove intersting! I mostly want him to be happy with it. When I am done I will post photo's of it. I have not yet started really. I am slowly collecting part's.

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You know while I am at it I will toss this out for you guys to think about??? I am building off of his Holton 602 it is so old it is not a T602 or a 602P or 602RC just 602....LOL It is great shape though as far as the valves and the fit of the slides and no dent's. I have to replace the leadpipe though and the finish has some major flaws where you can tell someone used too much heat trying to re-solder a brace tothe bell etc... I had him try out my trumpet and wow what a difference in how he sounded on mine versus his. Any ways I want to replace the Holton Logo on the tuneing slide brace with something else. I was thinking about useing a gold or silver coin but trying to find one of significance is getting hard. I was considering Viena Philharmonic which used to be gold and the South African Kruger rand(sp) which also used to be gold and I am guessing both still are. It is either that of do away with the brace on the tuneing slide all together??? I do not want to get too radical like ovate tuneing slide on his since he is 10 and not ready to look like a jazz man just yet! I would preffer he get some facial hair before he start's thinking he is a jazz man!!!LOL I have considered a round tuneing slide instead of the square on on it right now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008