Instrument Insurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    This is an extension of the "got lazy" thread, but thought it deserved its own topic....

What kind of insurance do you have for your instruments? The general description and serial numbers of my instruments are on file with my family's home owners insurance, but I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to get more specific insurance. I've heard that you can get instrument insurance through the union, but as I am not a member yet, I don't have any details on that.

Thanks,
    Jimi

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    As long as they are listed as a special "rider" on your home policy, you are fine (which means you are paying an extra premium for the coverage). If not, you definitely need to look into more specific insurance for your horns. The AFM site is a good place to start.

http://www.afm.org

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I have a specific musical instrument insurance set up for mine. The policy has nothing to do with house contents insurance - it is designed for musicians - they are insured for the things a musician would actually want - in a locked car, worldwide travel, in lessons, accidental damage, insured even when a student is borrowing it.
    As yet I have never needed to make a claim, but I know people that have and they are excellent to do business with - one guy broke his cello bow on the way to a rehearsal. By the time the concert came (later that day) he had managed to get a new bow on trial from a local shop.

4. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Just a cautionary word for people who are shopping for insurance: I found out a couple of years ago that the policy I had had since I first got my own instrument in high school was null and void because I wasn't using a hard case! A policy which is supposed to be for professional musicians but doesn't acknowledge the needs of professional musicians is a bit of a joke as far as I'm concerned. I don't drive you see so getting a combination tpt/flugel case (or two seperate cases and a bag of mutes/fake books!) on packed rush hour buses and trains is no joke! The people on the other end of the phone were also very unhelpful and uncaring. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd actually needed to make a claim! :cry: I am now with a company who actually want my custom and take my needs seriously. I pay extra to leave my instruments in a locked car boot (though i seldom do) and also for taking them abroad for when I am on tour or whatever.

Check your policy thoroughly!!!

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Where/who appraises horns, to determine replacement value?

Robert Rowe

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It may be different for professionals; as an amateur I insure my instruments on a "specified items" rider of my home policy. The premium is based on the value you place on the instrument and I use the replacement value for new. The policy allows this, recognizing that it is virtually impossible to replace things like a musical instrument "as is". I only have to list serial numbers, make/model, and general description. There is nothing stating that they must be kept in a hard case, locked car, bank vault.. etc. If stolen or lost, you file a police report and that suffices to prove loss. If damaged, get an estimate on repair.

Then again, I pay a premium for insurance with very low deductible and elevated reimbursement amounts, and haven't had a claim in years and years.

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello fellow Scot.

One of the most popular policies states that the car has to have specific locks fitted which is obvioulsy impossible.
    The MU policy is by far the best one, although I have no insurance at the moment.