Instrument Maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jul 10, 2013.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Nothing, you can use it with no problems. We have a Dr in our orchestra who always pours a few drops of SVR Alcohol into his trumpet through the mouthpiece before playing.

Regards, Stuart.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    De-greases the valve oil residue and destroys much of the biologicals living on the brass surface. As for finish or effect on the lacquer, I've used it since 2010 and have not seen any effects other than a shinny metal surface gleaming back at your after the rinse.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    cool -- actually, I've been giving my "daily" players (trumpets of course) a couple of shots of atomized rubbing alchohol every other week or so, for the past year or two, since you mentioned this before on TM. The trumpets seem to have no problem with that alchohol!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    The repair technician I use bemoans the impact of alcohol on the inside of instruments. Is there a long term impact on the brass, or are you guys rinsing instruments after using the alcohol. I have great respect for this technician.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is no impact. It's a labile fluid. If you use impure alcohol, it can leave residue, but isopropyl from a pharmacy is a fine grade. There is no long term impact on brass with isopropyl. There is no reason to rinse after a final alcohol wash. Ask your technician for evidence, published, that demonstrates this. If it isn't published, it likely is not true. I respect many cardiologists for their technical skills, but more times then I would like to detail, they get their physiology wrong...

6. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Which alcohol? Rubbing alcohol typically has lanolin dissolved in it. More pure alcohols are what I would use for cleaning/sterilization purposes.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good point... which is why 91% isopropyl alcohol is recommended over "rubbing alcohol".

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I must have saved a lot of my horns when I was younger, given the content of the vapor I blew through them...