Instrumentals Songs (Content vs. Ornamentation and Technical Display)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Aug 5, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    For instrumental songs, it seems like there is a fine line between the essence of the song and ornamentation and technical display. I can think of many songs that really sound good on a particular instrument, yet I can think of songs that sound good on just about any instrument, likewise I can think of songs that really only sound good due to there technical displays, but are otherwise boring.

My question is are there instrumental songs that sound decent without technical display? Opinions welcome.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anything can sound great if the audience is in tune with the heart of the player. "Sounds good" has little to do with the technical side. The same goes for the practice room monsters that melt the walls of practice rooms but fold on stage.

The Hymnbook is FULL of great sounding tunes to learn by. Limited technical knowledge required, but the ability to read the verses is of advantage!

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Most of Chris Botti's music is not much of a technical challenge, but the way he does it is captivating, his ability to communicate with the audience seems to give more than excellent results. Lisa is a good example, though if you may find even simpler tunes played by him:

‪Chris Botti (trumpet) "Lisa"‬‏ - YouTube

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Actually, from a sound tech perspective sounding good actually is very technical, but not so much a technical demonstration (as in chops). I suppose technical demonstration is a poor choice of words on my part, people did understand what I meant though.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I put together some books, "Melodies for Playing" and "Songs for Playing", exactly for this purpose.

6. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    About 3:39 the B section with the distorted guitar solo and fast and loud trumpet, kind of sucks, it sounded SO good up until then, and after that section was over it sounded good again. I guess the song could have done without that, and been just fine.:whistle: