Instruments from China - a cynical view

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 6, 2013.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have just received a "Hunter New York" trumpet for repair and would like to make it perfectly clear that I have never had any association with this brand of trumpet. I am appalled at the construction quality, and would like to refer you to a previous blog regarding instruments from China.
    ivan?s blog

2. Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer

Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2011
    Caldwell, Idaho
    There is only one word for them:

Crap.

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Interesting because in the Euphonium/Tuba world there is a dawning appreciation of the best of these that are made in close cooperation with Western instrument makers who go to the factories, approve the designs, materials and construction and then personally inspect/fix/play the instruments before offering them for sale. Of course that makes them about double the price of the ones direct from China, but in the world of low brass, still a quarter of the price of American or European instruments. I don't know if the same is true in the trumpet world--well maybe Canonball and Eastman, but these also are not one quarter of the price of a Bach or Kanstul.

4. Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer

Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2011
    Caldwell, Idaho
    This isn't really Euphonium/Tuba master is it?

5. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    Ivan,

I just read your blog about "good vs bad" and it took me back to the 1970s and 80s when my three sons were young. At that time I was teaching classes on how language affects human emotions. Alfred Korzybski (back in the 30s) had written about "General Semantics" which had described the great effects of language upon the neurological system. The kids and I used to play a game with this. For example, as we might drive long on the highway and see some trash in the ditch, one of us would say, "That's terrible because...." Then the next person would respond differently as in, "Well, it's good because...." So the conversation would go on a long time as we all explored how many different reasons/possibilities there might be for something. Similar to having jobs for Chinese workers. We did this on many different observations and topics over the years. The world is more complex than most of the usual polarizations we humans get trapped into. Thanks.

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    No but the post made a general statement about "instruments" from China. I was making the point that perhaps a distinction can be made between those made in china and marketed directly (ebay lowballs) and those which are made in cooperation with Western merchants, such as Eastman. Isn't Yamaha even producing student trumpets in China?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Was hanging out with Tony Scodwell back during Getzen's mid-life crisis just as Tony was getting into making horns. We were talking about the cheap trumpets coming out of Taiwan and he commented that Taiwan could build anything one asked for at the highest quality, but that one had to be prepared to pay for what one got. If one wanted inexpensive, one got cheap. Our society has gotten to the point that we are willing to accept cheap when seeking the inexpensive.

A German Meisterspruch: "The best is the least expensive."

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    As you see in my sig, there's a couple "oriental" horns in my quiver, plus a few that belong to my SIL that aren't there. So far, the C's have held up, but they don't get that much use and have never been played against/with a name brand C. For what we wanted them for, they've sufficed and haven't caused any tuning problems when used with pianos and organs in our area. The flugle has been somewhat problematic, ie: the usual valve problems. I've since seemed to have straightened it out as of this writing, but this horn doesn't get that much use either.........Buck:roll::oops::cool:

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    One element that only Buck has touched on is useage. I bought my boys their instruments - a King Tuba, and a King Trombone based on build quality, availability, depth of my pocket, and above all, how long they would each be playing. My contract with my boys was "If you continue to play throughout school - you will take ownership of the instrument the day you graduate". I used to own a King Tuba and a King Trombone - I no longer do. Now, 13 years later, both those instruments will be used by their owners to march this April 25th and to offer respect to our fallen and returned servicemen and women. The instruments play as well now as they did when new, I have never had any issues with build quality, maintenance, finish, tone, or longevity - and I have two musicians in the family. What did I pay? Who cares - now?

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    One fellow's perspective. Perhaps a trifle naive if one pays heed to the facts mentioned in the text.

Trumpet Factory in China