Insulting brother- in - law

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 15, 2016.

1. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I know it's not the same situation, but when I was young I took piano lessons and developed an interest in classical music. I started learning a few pieces in spite of my teacher saying I wasn't ready. What really got to me though was one day I was working on a piece and my father said "I don't want to hear something that sounds like someone practicing their scales.", indicating that he didn't want to hear classical music played while he was in the house. When I moved out, I was finally free to play what I wanted when I wanted. My first wife and her family didn't object to my choice of music, except my wife's younger sister got very upset when I sat down at their piano and played Fur Elise without music. Apparently she was trying to learn to play the piano and wasn't there yet, when I finished she said to me "I hate you" and stormed off.

2. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

Albert Einstein

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    That's okay he is a straight situation with my brother in law. He does something in the house like hang a ceiling fan he has to ask you how does it look or then he says not" bad right"
    But if I do something like put in a paper towel holder or change a light bulb that's up very high he pretends he doesn't notice.

4. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    It may come as a surprise to some that a pastor would agree with this - but in worldly situations this is excellent advice. If it were between two brothers in Christ I would counsel differently, but not getting involved or dragged down in the negativity of others towards us is vital.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    deleted

6. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    1) Consider whether he's correct, and that you need to practice all that much harder to prove him wrong - use it as motivation.

2) Average people have a very bad tendency to try to tear down and destroy exceptional people who are in the process of accelerating away from them, and average people will gang up and attack in mobs if they sense that the exceptional people are going to make them look bad.

So practice practice practice, and at the end of the day, you'll be able to prove him wrong, and you'll have excelled, just like you were supposed to.

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I think the answers have been said, either get out of the house or if it's your wife and YOUR house you can kick him out of your property. Yr wife is supposed to help, if she hasn't maybe you are with the wrong one. Anthony you need someone to support and back up your musical playing not abusing. Matter in fact most people with this situation get very disturbed and either quit which is sad. This bully in law, yeah that's right call him Bil (Bully-In-Law). You gotta act. Probably your brother in laws family was very harsh or he was educated on a bad way or jealousy grew up. I think this is jealousy in disguise.

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Is your brother in law talented at something? If so, genuinely complement him, maybe it will show him the right way of doing things.

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    No not really talented at anything I can see .He thinks he knows abt. computers and car repairs none of which he seems to be good at all.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I remember reading a post a few years ago that seems appropriate to this situation. I would attribute the quote, but I do not remember who wrote it. In any case, it goes like this: "Trumpet players don't get ulcers; we give them!" I'm going to post this in http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f136/truisms-74036.html also.