Insulting brother- in - law

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 15, 2016.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Great ........ah where can I get some thick skin ?

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    You have to grow it yourself. It's up to you to figure out how. Give it a try; you might surprise yourself.

3. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Don't let him fix your car or your computer.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    lol

5. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    45th reaction: it's a shame

6. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
    My wife is the same way, and she is exactly correct. I took the advice, that you should always sound like c*** in the practice room to heart, and have used that as my standard.

I was guilty of engaging in ego practice, which isn't practice at all. It is good for maintaining chops and that is about it. The only way to grow in ability is push the limits until they are expanded. As we all have limited practice time (I know I do) I have to work on the stuff that doesn't happen easily, therefore do in fact sound like c*** most of the time.

At one of our gigs she asked me during the break, why don't you sound like that at home? I told her if I did, I wouldn't be playing the gig.

There are always going to people who love the sound of trumpet, and those to whom it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe it isn't your playing that he has problems with, rather just the sound of a trumpet in general. However it goes, don't let it get to you, if anything now you have the freedom to really expand your abilities.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Your right cause I found myself playing music I don't usually play just to impress him, and wasn't playing important slurs, scales and the basic fundamentals

8. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    "There is no message stronger than ignoring and avoiding idiots. Do not comment, do not speak with them, do not criticize or speak evil of them when they are not there. Completely avoid and ignore them."

This is probably the best advice I've ever seen on Trumpetmaster!

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Do you know the maximum penalty for bigamy?

Two mothers-in-law.

10. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Hire a hit man?