Insulting brother- in - law

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 15, 2016.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Or you could, deafen him with the sheer power of your trumpet...

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Brothers-in-law seem to be a very special species... my wife's brother-in-law always belittles her singing as "screeching around", telling her to "stop and get a proper job".
    Until last Sunday, when my sister-in-law and her obnoxious husband were invited (had to) to celebrate my wife's birthday. He started ranting again, so I took him outside and told him, very thoroughly, that somehow he had missed the point that my wife was and is an international opera star (www.reginaschoerg.com, a few bookings still available), and he just a former professional firefighter who was relegated to office duties in his first year in the service because after every sortie, he had a nervous breakdown. He wanted to get violent, so I just clipped him a surprise one on the ear (he did not know that, for six years, I did Krav Maga self defence) and the matter was sorted. He came back from sleep after a minute or two and apologized for his conduct. Respect won.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Get your own place... who wants to live in the same house with ANY in-law relative?? Visitors and relatives are like fish, they both go bad after 3 days and you have to throw them out.

If you are living with HIM then get your act together and get out of there!

If he is living in YOUR house then the answer is simpler: Tell him to keep his mouth shut or hit the bricks.... then adjust your practice schedule so you can be practicing when he is trying to sleep.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Barlman, luckily you don't live in the U.S. in these days where such physical assault on another may find you having a seat at the defense table in a Courtroom. It would escalate against you if investigation revealed your martial arts training.

I once lost my "cookies" assisting in recovery following a domestic apartment gas explosion when I encountered a singed teddy bear. I then had to attend 12 sessions of psych before I was again assigned on field duty. I subsequently learned that all children were accounted for ... living and without injury.

5. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Wow! that's your wife, is she on youtube at all, if so I'll have a listen. BTW, what Ed Lee posted is correct, you need to be careful, lucky for me, my Karate never came into it.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Sounds like barliman was defending himself - perfectly acceptable. Sometimes, people only understand one thing (unfortunate). I have a brother-in-law that is a jerk on many fronts. When I've had enough, I let him know it and he stops....for a while.

Keep playing!

Kevin

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes I am always going to keep playing no matter what I just feel better everytime I practice doesn't everyone?

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The b-i-l is insecure. He makes up for his feelings of inadequacy by putting down others. Don't waste your time on him. Ignore him and maybe eventually he will grow up. It is OK for you to feel sorry for him, but you probably should not let him know. The more he puts down your trumpet playing the better you are getting.