Interchangeable Main Tuning Slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassMaverick, Nov 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM.

1. BrassMaverick

BrassMaverick Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2016
    Solomon, Kansas
    Hello, all...

I'm browsing for main tuning slides online, because I'm curious to see if a squared main slide can add the kick of resistance I had on my old Yamaha student model to my new Getzen, and I made a comparison between the two. The Getzen slide is definitely more of one of those softer "D-slides" than a squared one.

The problem is that I can only find a rounded main slide made by Getzen -- and it's unavailable on Woodwind & Brasswind's site. I have yet to see it on Dillon Music's site anywhere.

Are main slides made by one company compatible with instruments made by another (e.g. Edwards slide on a Getzen trumpet)?

Trumpets:

Getzen 3051 Custom Series Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-200AD "Advantage" Student Trumpet
    Mendini MPT-L Pocket Trumpet

Mouthpieces:

Yamaha 14B4 (Concert/Solo/Low Jazz)
    Curry 70M (Marching/Pep/High Jazz)

"Any good friend of the trumpet is a good friend of mine...just as long as they know how to play one." ~ BrassMaverick

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Check out that trumpets designed with D slides also have considerably different points where the braces are. I am not sure that you are pointed in the right direction. You mention resistance. Is the problem that you can’t play long phrases because you run out of air too soon? In this case there are real fixes inside of your body instead of a band aid on the trumpet.

What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

4. BrassMaverick

BrassMaverick Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2016
    Solomon, Kansas
    Dear rowuk,

My purpose is to fit a bit more of the feel of play from my Yamaha into my Getzen. On my old trumpet, I could feel that little ounce of push-back it had whenever I played, which I enjoyed, because it allowed me to have a fatter tone in all registers and access to louder volumes and higher registers with less effort. The larger bore of the Getzen 3051 makes for a full and dark (if you need it) tone, indeed, but it always feels a bit "too free to the blow", if that makes any sense.

Plus, if I try to shallow up on a mouthpiece further than my Yamaha 14B4, I'm basically screwed, tone-wise.

Trumpets:

Getzen 3051 Custom Series Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-200AD "Advantage" Student Trumpet
    Mendini MPT-L Pocket Trumpet

Mouthpieces:

Yamaha 14B4 (Concert/Solo/Low Jazz)
    Curry 70M (Marching/Pep/High Jazz)

"Any good friend of the trumpet is a good friend of mine...just as long as they know how to play one." ~ BrassMaverick

5. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    This might sound a little simplistic and for sure the trumpet as an acoustic system has characteristics that alter resistance beyond the bore size and simplistic explanations but as to whether slight variance of the shape of the tuning slide will alter resistance I am unconvinced.

In my simple world, the air path is turned 180 degrees by the tuning slide and then another 180 degrees by the bend in the bell tube. If small changes to the shape of that bend in the tuning slide increased the resistance then I would expect other additional bends in the tubing to also add resistance.

So why does resistance not increase by one half when we use the first or second or third valve. It should massively change the resistance if simply altering the shape of the tuning slide adds resistance. Why doesnt using two valves double the resistance. and as for using three valves, why doesnt the horn become unplayable with excessive resistance when a full 540 degrees of additional bend are added to the tubing.

I dont notice any resistance change when moving from 360 degree tube bends to 900 degrees of bend with all three valves depressed. My conclusion is that changes to the bends in the tubing dont increase resistance.

I suspect that other changes will reap more change to the resistance than merely changing from one tuning slide shape to another.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Your assumption does not add up. Large bore does not necessarily give full and dark.

If you want more resistance, add some leakage. Either in the valves or the water key. A Getzen can never feel like a Yamaha (a fact that I am most happy with, by the way).

If you want to play around with tuning slides there are several factors to take into account:
    Spacing (distance between centers) of the upper and lower slides.
    Design of slide (regular, reverse lead pipe, Malone style inner/outer as used by Edwards).
    Outside diameter and length of inner slides.

Either accept the Getzen as it is (assuming there are no faults in manufacture), or sell it and get a trumpet you are happy with. We design trumpets with a particular set of criteria in mind, to drastically change those criteria after manufacture is to invite complete disaster.

And, judging by your stable, you only have one top notch instrument that you are wanting to detune to your student and lesser models.

richtom, rowuk and J. Jericho like this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have an idea. Add a heavier 3rd valve bottom cap. I am serious - just the 3rd valve. Not twice as heavy, maybe 1 ½ times. To test this first, you can use modelling clay wrapped around the cap. It could be exactly the fine tune that you describe. An alternative would be a megatone type mouthpiece or mouthpiece sleeve to add the weight there.

This mod would not screw up the balance of the horn that you have.

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My friend, Howard Scudder, used to put a dime in the bottom cap of his 3rd valve.