interchanging mouthpieces during a comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have read alot of "you" seem to change mouthpieces depending on the role you are playing. So it seems like this is something done by the pros.
    My question is when starting to play after an extented layoff ... let's just say 10+ years do you think it is best to stick with one mouthpiece for the first year while the embrochure builds up strength.
    This is just talking about Bb trumpet ... no pics no flugels.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, find a mouthpiece that works for you and stick with it for your comeback.

3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Theres no point in buying all the gear without need for it. find a comfy mouthpiece thats the best for you, stick to it and, if you MUST buy another then do so but, unless you 100% need it, not much point :) good luck with the comeback, hope all goes well for you!

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was actually asking because I current have a 2 3/4 c and a 7c Bach .. I am going to change to the 3c per suggestions made here and confirming what my gut was telling me... which is what I use to play on.
    and
    .. because so many "pros" here seem to be do this very "as a matter of fact"
    and I was wondering if I should be getting use to doing that ... I really have no desire to be screwing around with moutpieces at this time.
    thanks for the comments

5. Thomsam1

Thomsam1 New Friend

Dec 9, 2010
    Red Deer,AB
    I was in the same boat as you are. I used my original mouthpiece (a Bach 7C) and did not worry about changing. I was taught that it was best to pick a mouthpiece that was comfortable and stay with it.

Hope this helps.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I get the urge to change mouthpieces I ask myself what would a change do for me that the present is not? A 3C is not very much different than the 2 3/4 C, 0.1 mm smaller in dia and a little deeper in the cup according to the Bach manual.

What do you feel is the difference between the 2 3/4C and the 7C that warrants a change?

In the 25 years since my comeback I have played on 3 mouthpieces, tried many others for a short time and rejected them, most have come with vintage horns I have collected.

Regards, Stuart.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I put up a post earlier and the concensus seem to say that there was difference between the 2 series and 3 series that made them harder to play. I read the specs and didn't think it would but some of these players really know there stuff. I remember going back to a 3c from a 1 1/2c in college so I figured I must have done it for a reason... which happens to escape me at the moment.
    I really don't plan on using the 7c ... it just happen to be in the case of the Bach when I bought it.
    The issue I am having with the 2 3/4 is moving around the horn and I feel like I am working a little too hard in the upper registers.
    thx for posting

8. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    the struggle in the high regester could be due to the fact that you've only recently started to play again. On a personal level, I find it hard to play on a C mouthpiece so it could be that.
    Have you tried any other mouthpieces?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Just a few minutes on the 7c ... but I agree it has only been 6 weeks

10. Will the Newb

Will the Newb New Friend

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm still a newb, and I wouldn't overdo it with mouthpieces. I started with a 7C on my cornet, but I found I like a 5C better, find one you like and stick with it!